cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2007, 09:08 PM   #11
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm not anti-speedplay per se. I use them myself, when I replaced my el cheapo performancebike look-style cleats.

It's just that I preferred the more secure feeling of the Looks.

I'm not sure which shoe is the best, but I would recommend not going cheap on shoes. I got the $70 shimano shoes. They are fine, but I could have done much better. It's just that I'm too cheap to get better ones.

More importantly don't go cheap on the cycling shorts. I recommend the pearl izumis.

I saw some shimano shoes at Spin Cycle in Holladay... I think they were $99 or so. I will probably go with those. It seems like in cycling, it's better to spend more money and get the nicer things to start out rather than saving a little bit on a couple different things but then always wanting to get other stuff... and needing to get the nicer things sooner.

I admit, I'm intimidated by the speed play pedals because they are so tiny and they look like they would lack support and comfortability.

I'm actually going up to the pearl izumi outlet in park city tomorrow to get my shorts and gloves and possibly a jersey. thanks for the advice!
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:23 PM   #12
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm not anti-speedplay per se. I use them myself, when I replaced my el cheapo performancebike look-style cleats.

It's just that I preferred the more secure feeling of the Looks.

I'm not sure which shoe is the best, but I would recommend not going cheap on shoes. I got the $70 shimano shoes. They are fine, but I could have done much better. It's just that I'm too cheap to get better ones.

More importantly don't go cheap on the cycling shorts. I recommend the pearl izumis.
This is a different iossue. WHne you first use Speedplay, they do feel a little odd, sort of like you are on ice. Thta doesn't take long to pass however. I am using Sidi domnitaor something or another shoes right now and like them quite abit.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:38 PM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I spend too much so don't use me as a barometer. I got the top of the line Shimano, with carbon soles, as well as the top of the line triathlon shoes, both with Shimano.

The carbon sole makes it stiffer and transfers power to pedal better. I agree that anybody slipping of speedplays doesn't pedal correctly.

The reason many pros don't adopt them is European snobbery. Look are French and Europeans hate using American technology. If you become a Campy snob, you'll look for Looks.

BTW, creekster are you coming and are you bringing the bike? I want to see this famous cyclist, with or without goatee.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:17 AM   #14
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I spend too much so don't use me as a barometer. I got the top of the line Shimano, with carbon soles, as well as the top of the line triathlon shoes, both with Shimano.

The carbon sole makes it stiffer and transfers power to pedal better. I agree that anybody slipping of speedplays doesn't pedal correctly.

The reason many pros don't adopt them is European snobbery. Look are French and Europeans hate using American technology. If you become a Campy snob, you'll look for Looks.

BTW, creekster are you coming and are you bringing the bike? I want to see this famous cyclist, with or without goatee.
You sound like my father in law. He has the top of the line Shimano shoes with carbon soles too. He spares no expense when it comes to cycling. He has so much cycling crap it's ridiculous. He must have spent a couple thousand on his clothing alone! He's pretty frugal with most stuff, but cycling and photography are his passions where his money seems to turn to monopoly money and he spends like there is no tomorrow.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:18 PM   #15
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Finally the cycling forum wakes up and I'm out of town away from a computer.

A very nice choice for a bike. As far as pedals and shoes go, I personally use Shimano shoes with Carbon fiber soles. It is a very comfortable fit so far, as I've only used them for less than a month. As far as pedals go, I use Shimano Ultegra pedals, which are nearly identical to the LOOK Keo pedals. They are very comfortable and have variable float, which I think is very important. I think mine have about 5 degrees and I have no knee strain.

Some of my buddies have used both Speedplay and LOOK and prefer LOOK. I think they couldn't get over the "iceskate" feel of them and prefered the more stable feel of the LOOK. From what I've seen, I don;t think the speedplays will open you up for hotspots any more than most pedals will. Its not the size of the pedal that matters as much as the size of the platform and cleat attached to the shoe. Anything that uses a 3-bolt system should be fine. I started with a 2-bolt cleat and got hotfoot and numbness all the time.

Check out Performancebike.com on the cougarguard link (you're welcome Mike). I found my shoes and pedals for $100 each on sale, and also found a 10% off coupon.

Yes, get some good shorts. PI or Voler are my favorite. Voler is a bit cheaper.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:46 PM   #16
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Finally the cycling forum wakes up and I'm out of town away from a computer.

A very nice choice for a bike. As far as pedals and shoes go, I personally use Shimano shoes with Carbon fiber soles. It is a very comfortable fit so far, as I've only used them for less than a month. As far as pedals go, I use Shimano Ultegra pedals, which are nearly identical to the LOOK Keo pedals. They are very comfortable and have variable float, which I think is very important. I think mine have about 5 degrees and I have no knee strain.

Some of my buddies have used both Speedplay and LOOK and prefer LOOK. I think they couldn't get over the "iceskate" feel of them and prefered the more stable feel of the LOOK. From what I've seen, I don;t think the speedplays will open you up for hotspots any more than most pedals will. Its not the size of the pedal that matters as much as the size of the platform and cleat attached to the shoe. Anything that uses a 3-bolt system should be fine. I started with a 2-bolt cleat and got hotfoot and numbness all the time.

Check out Performancebike.com on the cougarguard link (you're welcome Mike). I found my shoes and pedals for $100 each on sale, and also found a 10% off coupon.

Yes, get some good shorts. PI or Voler are my favorite. Voler is a bit cheaper.
I still recommend bibs to shorts.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:11 PM   #17
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I still recommend bibs to shorts.
Absolutely agree.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:19 PM   #18
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Absolutely agree.
I'm with both of you guys. But remember, he's new. We gotta break him in slowly. Just wearing the cycling gear by itself can be a little traumatic for the newbies. Put him in a singlet right off and it may just push him right out of the sport.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:34 PM   #19
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
I'm with both of you guys. But remember, he's new. We gotta break him in slowly. Just wearing the cycling gear by itself can be a little traumatic for the newbies. Put him in a singlet right off and it may just push him right out of the sport.
So we don't tell him about shaving?
Old 04-02-2007, 08:13 PM   #20
bYuPride

Quote:
So we don't tell him about shaving?
Ha ha! You guys are hilarious! I'm going to go with the bibs... I'm almost certain I'll look amazing. I'm thinking of just going bib and no jersey. I could probably pull it off! ha ha!

I decided to go with the speedplay pedals, but I got the zero... i hope i didn't make a mistake. I also went with nike cleats... also, I hope it wasn't a mistake! The speedplay zero was about $125, but I got them for less than $100, and I got the Nike cleats for $70 regularly $110. I thought I should have gone with shimano shoes, but the guy helping me said, I'd be fine with Nike's too... I'm not confident at all with either of these purchases! I thought I should just get the regulary speed play pedals with shimano shoes.... someone please help me feel more confident, but be honest I guess.....

"I'm on my beater bike"