cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2006, 01:39 AM   #21
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

I think anyone who plays sports should forgo future social security claims for any injuries that might have been exacerbated by the sport in question. If people play football, they should be willing to assume the risks of playing football, and not pass on the cost to the rest of us tax payers with better sense.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:47 AM   #22
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
I think anyone who plays sports should forgo future social security claims for any injuries that might have been exacerbated by the sport in question. If people play football, they should be willing to assume the risks of playing football, and not pass on the cost to the rest of us tax payers with better sense.
Why stop there? They should get rid of social security for everyone, dont you think?
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:02 AM   #23
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

You're asking a liberal if he believes social security should be taken away?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:29 AM   #24
Colly Wolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
You're asking a liberal if he believes social security should be taken away?
I just dont know why he is drawing the line at pro-athletes.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:37 AM   #25
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think Robin is actually serious, but he's just pointing out that playing professional sports is as risky as riding a motorcycle and that if a motorcyclist should have to pay higher insurance premiums, a professional athlete should not be able to receive benefits for putting themselves at risk.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:43 AM   #26
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

small number play professional sports; large numbers still ride bikes.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:45 AM   #27
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
I don't think Robin is actually serious, but he's just pointing out that playing professional sports is as risky as riding a motorcycle and that if a motorcyclist should have to pay higher insurance premiums, a professional athlete should not be able to receive benefits for putting themselves at risk.
You are correct that I am not serious. And I wouldn't limit my polemic to pro athletes. Why not high school athletes? I knew several high school footballers who blew out their knees, and will suffer pain for the rest of their lives as a result. You think some of their prescriptions for that pain is going to get picked up by the tax payer?

My point is simple... life is better because we can take risks. Whether we are talking about entreprenurial risks, or the risks of sport, or the risk of riding a motorcycle (or even walking out your front door, if you want to take it to an extreme), life is full of risk and reward. By collectively assuming some of the risk, we make life more adventurous, and for the most part, that makes life much more rewarding.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:50 AM   #28
Colly Wolly

Quote:
You are correct that I am not serious. And I wouldn't limit my polemic to pro athletes. Why not high school athletes? I knew several high school footballers who blew out their knees, and will suffer pain for the rest of their lives as a result. You think some of their prescriptions for that pain is going to get picked up by the tax payer?

My point is simple... life is better because we can take risks. Whether we are talking about entreprenurial risks, or the risks of sport, or the risk of riding a motorcycle (or even walking out your front door, if you want to take it to an extreme), life is full of risk and reward. By collectively assuming some of the risk, we make life more adventurous, and for the most part, that makes life much more rewarding.
You are right about risks Robin. But is it really a risk if the government is there to bail you out when the dice dont roll your way? It sounds like you want to talk insurance - health insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, but you were the one to bring up social security.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:55 AM   #29
Zulu451
house-elf 3rd class

Zulu451 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
And yet insurance for motorcycles is actually less than for other vehicles, since the motorcyclist presents less threat to others around him. Maybe the motorcyclist assumes greater personal risk to life and limb, but the SUV driver represents a greater threat to those around her, and contributes to pollution levels that cause increased risk of asthma.

If EVERYONE rode motorcycles, and if leather and helmets were required by all, and if trucks were confined to one slow lane of traffic, you would see a lot of broken limbs and road rash and a lot less death. Why should the motorcyclist assume the extra liability? It is the other cars that present the risk to the motorcyclists, and not the other way around. Motorcyclists live in a dangerous world, as Mike pointed out, where accidents are usually caused by others. Drivers need to learn how to look out for motorcyclists. A lot of drivers claim they don't see motorcyclists, but the truth is they simply usually aren't looking for them.

I am well aware that motorcyclists assume risks, because when you get run over by a fool in an SUV who is on a cel phone and not paying attention to the road, and then cuts into the HOV lane and knocks you off your bike before running over your leg, 'fault' will be a moot point. But passing on the liability of a road full of those idiots in SUVs to the motorcyclists is like telling a rape victim that she was responsible for the rape because her jeans were too tight.
Determining fault is the easy part. At least here in San Antonio, and I would bet that in LA it is about the same if not worse, you are likely to get plastered by someone with no auto insurance. You can sue all you want and the only thing you will get is someone else relieved of all their debt and a big attorney fee. You still assumed the increased risk of injury, though not necessarily any fault of your own. To compare it to a rape victim is simply trying to pull it to an extreme. A better comparison would be the guy who goes skydiving regularly or the person who rock climbs or otherwise engages in high risk (though fun) activities.

If a majority of people rode motorcycles, and dressed like a Raider's Fan, and SUV's were confined to the slow lane. I still would rather take the bus. (Though in LA this could be considered a high risk activity as well.)
Zulu451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:35 AM   #30
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

As someone who puts about 5,000 miles a year on my bike and who seldom wears a helmet, I can say without equivocation that you guys are a bunch of pussies . Of course it's dangerous, but so what? I realize that there is a good chance that I will die on my bike, but it's really not that big of a deal. The danger of it is what makes it exciting. If you've ever driven a car over 100mph then you should understand. There are so few things in life that are truly exciting, that one ought to try and eke out every thrill they can.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan

Last edited by non sequitur; 06-14-2006 at 11:39 PM.
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote