cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2008, 11:13 PM   #21
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

So which pedals did you get? For some reason I failed to chime in here. I use speedplays on everything. Love them. Lots of float, easy in and out, self-centering, and lots of corner clearance.

SPD (which I say like this: Ess Pee Dee) are fine pedals, but I much prefer my speedplays, and I have used SPD before.

My wife uses eggbeaters with a platform on the tandem. At first she insisted on the platform but lately, she complains abotu it, so we are probabyl going to go without it in the near future. Egg beaters are good becaseu dirt doesn't bother the cleats (which is one drawback of speedplays).

So what did you get?
Old 08-28-2008, 12:18 AM   #22
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Egg beaters are good becaseu dirt doesn't bother the cleats (which is one drawback of speedplays).
Speaking of dirt, this is an ongoing problem with my Shimanos at century rides. I always seem to get mud and small rocks in the cleats anytime I walk off the pavement, usually around the feed stations at a century. Then it takes me 5-10 minutes to clipped back in. Occasionally I'll get frustrated and just take off with it half clipped in until the mud dries and I can stomp it off.

Just a small irritation with my pedals. My buddy who used to use speedplay before going back to LOOK said the same thing, only it would take him even longer to get them cleaned out.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:27 AM   #23
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Speaking of dirt, this is an ongoing problem with my Shimanos at century rides. I always seem to get mud and small rocks in the cleats anytime I walk off the pavement, usually around the feed stations at a century. Then it takes me 5-10 minutes to clipped back in. Occasionally I'll get frustrated and just take off with it half clipped in until the mud dries and I can stomp it off.

Just a small irritation with my pedals. My buddy who used to use speedplay before going back to LOOK said the same thing, only it would take him even longer to get them cleaned out.
No doubt this (and expensive replacement cleats) are the biggest problem with speedplays. ON centuries and really almost anywhere I take along a set of "cafe covers" which cover up the cleat while you walk around and saves agony and frustration when you leave a rest area.

Eggbeaters do not have this problem at all. Look's are better, i suppose, but not as good as eggbeaters. I think speedplays are the worst on this score.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:05 AM   #24
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Eggbeaters do not have this problem at all. Look's are better, i suppose, but not as good as eggbeaters. I think speedplays are the worst on this score.
the biggest problem with Looks are I have gone through 3 sets of cleats since January, this is about 1200 miles, so 400 miles per pair. I mean come on, 75 bucks on cleats in one year?
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:09 AM   #25
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
the biggest problem with Looks are I have gone through 3 sets of cleats since January, this is about 1200 miles, so 400 miles per pair. I mean come on, 75 bucks on cleats in one year?
That is very bad. I thought speedplays are bad, but I have only changed them about every 2 or 3 thousand miles. but they are about 30 or 35 clams a pair.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:02 PM   #26
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
Coach I'm not sure what you are doing but in my 19+ years of riding I've gone through maybe 4 sets of cleats for my Look pedal. Some of been pretty worn down but they still did the trick. I'm going to put my vote in here for my Looks. Other then keeping them clean I've never had to do any maintenance on them and I like the solid feel underneath my feet. I tried speedplays one time and I just didn't care for the feel and my neighbor who has them is constantly working on his because of some leaky bearings.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:32 PM   #27
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
Coach I'm not sure what you are doing but in my 19+ years of riding I've gone through maybe 4 sets of cleats for my Look pedal. Some of been pretty worn down but they still did the trick. I'm going to put my vote in here for my Looks. Other then keeping them clean I've never had to do any maintenance on them and I like the solid feel underneath my feet. I tried speedplays one time and I just didn't care for the feel and my neighbor who has them is constantly working on his because of some leaky bearings.
I dont know, maybe it is my weight, 250 as of today? I dont seem to abuse them more than any other person.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:33 PM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I used the same Look cleat for about 3+ years. My main complaint with it was that I had to keep screwing it in and tightening it. Major pain.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:56 PM   #29
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post

ON some models, but not asll, the bushings can wear out. I have never had thisproblme but have heard abotu it. Most of my wear on my speedplay cleats comes from walking on them. I suspect if I used the cover religiously as I noe do, the cleats would last a long time.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:57 PM   #30
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I used the same Look cleat for about 3+ years. My main complaint with it was that I had to keep screwing it in and tightening it. Major pain.
Use loc-tite (the non permanent type, I think it is the blue one) and that should solve the problem.