cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 05:09 PM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
Probably that and the company you keep (Ute fans). But there is still time to repent and come unto the Lord(s university).
I dunno. The fact that there is no caffeinated Coke in LES is reason enough to be a Ute fan.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:47 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
So, will you ever forgive me for going to Marist?
Who are you? Aren't you Catholic or Hasidic, or from somewhere else?
Old 08-31-2007, 01:42 AM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Who are you? Aren't you Catholic or Hasidic, or from somewhere else?
uhhhhhhhhh.....I'm nobody special. Just a guy who didn't have to pay a dime to go to school.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:53 AM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
uhhhhhhhhh.....I'm nobody special. Just a guy who didn't have to pay a dime to go to school.
So you're Hillary's lovechild, and a liberal to boot.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:36 PM   #15
MaroonSpade00

MaroonSpade00 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I don't consider them LDS if they've forsaken the school of their church.
Probably that and the company you keep (Ute fans). But there is still time to repent and come unto the Lord(s university).

Everytime I soften my stance against "Utah mormons" comments like this come along and stoke the fire right back up!

“Grasp the opportunity of the moment wherever you may be. Love the school of your choice. Make it your dear mother, your alma mater. Take from it the very best it has to offer. And hold on to the institute program...our students have opportunities for religious training and Church association wherever they may be." (Gordon B. Hinckley, “Be Not Afraid, Only Believe” [CES fireside for young adults, Sept. 9, 2001], 2).

The above, among other more explicit comments made by President Hinckley, combined with the fact the the Church also owns BYU-Hawaii, BYU-Idaho, and the LDS Business college, seriously weaken any claim on behalf of BYU to be the "one true" university, or the only acceptable choice before the Lord.

Further,

G. B. Hinckley earned his bachelors at U of U.
T. S. Monson enrolled in the University of Utah. Monson graduated cum laude in 1948 with a bachelors degree in business management.
H. B. Eyring Eyring received his B.S. in physics from the University of Utah, where his father taught chemistry. He went on to earn a Masters and Doctorate in Business Administration from Harvard Business School before embarking on a career in academia. He is also a veteran of the USAF.

So far, none of the first presidency earned an non-honorary degree from BYU, rather all attended U of U.

B. K. Packer Packer has a bachelors and masters from Utah State University and an Ed.D. degree from Brigham Young University. He is also a veteran of the USAF.
L. T. Perry is a World War II veteran of the USMC and graduate of Utah State University.
R. M. Nelson and received his B.A. degree in June 1945, an M.D. from the in August 1947 both from (you guessed it!) University of Utah, and a Ph.D. from the University of Minnesota in 1954.
D. H. Oaks earned his bachelors in accounting at BYU and then went on to U of Chicago for Law School.
M. R. Ballard Attended the University of Utah.
J. B. Wirthlin graduate of University of Utah in business management.
R.G. Scott received B.S. degree in mechanical engineering from George Washington University, and completed post-graduate work in nuclear engineering at Oak Ridge, Tenn. He worked Worked 12 years on the staff of Adm. Hyman Rickover, developing military and private nuclear power reactors.
R. D. Hales earned bachelor's degree from the University of Utah, and master of business administration degree from Harvard; served in the U.S. Air Force as a jet fighter pilot.
J. R. Holland received bachelor's degree in English and master's degree in religious education from Brigham Young University, and received master's degree and doctorate in American studies from Yale University.
D. F. Uchtdorf is not published anywhere I can find it, but I bet he did not go to BYU, being from Germany and all.
D. A. Bednar received B.A. degree in communications and M.A. in organizational communications, both from BYU and doctorate in organizational behavior from Purdue University.
Q. L. Cook graduated from Utah State University in 1963 with a bachelor's degree in political science and from Stanford Law School in 1966.

So we have only Bednar, Holland, and Oaks with bachelor's from BYU,
Bednar and Holland with a master's from BYU, and Packer with a PHD from BYU. FOr a total of 4 out of fifteen. Further, it should be noted that, of these four, only Packer bucked the trend of leaving BYU for advanced degrees elsewhere. One might say they saw value at other schools not owned by the church. In any case 4/15 is a vast minority of the members of the two senior church governing bodies.

Finally, those who are truly missionary-minded can do much good living and sharing the gospel in the on the front lines in "henterlands of the kingdom" rather than cowering in the shelter and safety of the rear area known as the Wasatch front.

My apologies to those who live in the above mentioned area who do not fall in to that category. It is not my intention to tar you all with the same brush.

PS Is it wise to choose a university based mainly on the social opportunities (read "marriage prospects") and religious affiliation rather than primarily on the strenght of the academic programs in the discipline one chooses to pursue. We all know people who have done this regardless of whether BYU was the school involved or not, though I would wager that the chances are higher of such a person being found at "the Y".

Regards,
MaroonSpade00

Last edited by MaroonSpade00; 10-25-2007 at 02:24 PM.
MaroonSpade00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:49 PM   #16
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonSpade00 View Post

Everytime I soften my stance against "Utah mormons" comments like this come along and stoke the fire right back up!

“Grasp the opportunity of the moment wherever you may be. Love the school of your choice. Make it your dear mother, your alma mater. Take from it the very best it has to offer. And hold on to the institute program...our students have opportunities for religious training and Church association wherever they may be." (Gordon B. Hinckley, “Be Not Afraid, Only Believe” [CES fireside for young adults, Sept. 9, 2001], 2).

The above, among other more explicit comments made by President Hinckley, combined with the fact the the Church also owns BYU Hawaii, BYU, Idaho, and the LDS Business college, seriously weaken any claim on behalf of BYU to be the "one true" university, or the only acceptable choice before the Lord.

Further,

T. S. Monson enrolled in the University of Utah. Monson graduated cum laude in 1948 with a bachelors degree in business management.
H. B. Eyring Eyring received his B.S. in physics from the University of Utah, where his father taught chemistry. He went on to earn a Masters and Doctorate in Business Administration from Harvard Business School before embarking on a career in academia. He is also a veteran of the USAF.

So far, none of the first presidency earned an non-honorary degree from BYU, rather all attended U of U.

B. K. Packer Packer has a bachelors and masters from Utah State University and an Ed.D. degree from Brigham Young University. He is also a veteran of the USAF.
L. T. Perry is a World War II veteran of the USMC and graduate of Utah State University.
R. M. Nelson and received his B.A. degree in June 1945, an M.D. from the in August 1947 both from (you guessed it!) University of Utah, and a Ph.D. from the University of Minnesota in 1954.
D. H. Oaks earned his bachelors in accounting at BYU and then went on to U of Chicago for Law School.
R.G. Scott received B.S. degree in mechanical engineering from George Washington University, and completed post-graduate work in nuclear engineering at Oak Ridge, Tenn. He worked Worked 12 years on the staff of Adm. Hyman Rickover, developing military and private nuclear power reactors.
R. D. Hales earned bachelor's degree from the University of Utah, and master of business administration degree from Harvard; served in the U.S. Air Force as a jet fighter pilot.
J. R. Holland received bachelor's degree in English and master's degree in religious education from Brigham Young University, and received master's degree and doctorate in American studies from Yale University.
D. F. Uchtdorf is not published anywhere I can find it, but I bet he did not go to BYU, being from Germany and all.
D. A. Bednar received B.A. degree in communications and M.A. in organizational communications, both from BYU and doctorate in organizational behavior from Purdue University.
Q. L. Cook graduated from Utah State University in 1963 with a bachelor's degree in political science and from Stanford Law School in 1966.

Bednar and Holland with a master's from BYU, and Packer with a PHD from BYU. FOr a total of 4 out of fifteen. Further, it should be noted that, of these four, only Packer bucked the trend of leaving BYU for advanced degrees elsewhere. One might say they saw value at other schools not owned by the church. In any case 4/15 is a vast minority of the members of the two senior church governing bodies.

Finally, those who are truly missionary minded can do much good living and sharing the gospel in the on the front lines in "henterlands of the kingdom" rather than cowering in the shelter of the rear area known as the Wasatch front.

My apologies to those who live in the above mentioned area who do not fall in to that category. It is not my intention to tar you all with the same brush.

Regards,
MaroonSpade00
don't forget that wirthlin played football at the U
Old 10-25-2007, 01:53 PM   #17
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

The above, among other more explicit comments made by President Hinckley, combined with the fact the the Church also owns BYU Hawaii, BYU, Idaho, and the LDS Business college, seriously weaken any claim on behalf of BYU to be the "one true" university, or the only acceptable choice before the Lord.

Further,

Finally, those who are truly missionary minded can do much good living and sharing the gospel in the on the front lines in "henterlands of the kingdom" rather than cowering in the shelter of the rear area known as the Wasatch front.

Regards,
MaroonSpade00
You're new here, aren't you.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:11 PM   #18
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Further,

Regards,
MaroonSpade00
Golly jee willickers, methinks those famous alum of the U of U probably would like a team who can score points against the likes of UNLV, donchya think?
Old 10-25-2007, 02:12 PM   #19
MaroonSpade00

MaroonSpade00 is on a distinguished road

As a matter of fact, yes, I am new here.

And I should have remembered that Wirthlin mentioned something about playing football in a recent conference address.

Last edited by MaroonSpade00; 10-25-2007 at 02:14 PM.
MaroonSpade00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:16 PM   #20
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
As a matter of fact, yes, I am new here.

And I should have remembered that Wirthlin mentioned something about playing football in a recent conference address.
IIRC the U team was similarly inspired...they also never crossed the goal line, but they have their integrity....they have their integrity!