cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 08:15 PM   #111
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Yet no single 'missing link' has ever been found. Now that is absurd! Which leads me to believe that we are applying the THEORY of evolution incorrectly.
I think we may be on differnt planes here and are failing to meet in the basic terms we are using. What do you mean by a missing link? What is it as you use that term?
Old 07-11-2007, 08:16 PM   #112
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Incidentally, there is still no unifying theory of physics which explains relationships between gravity and electromagnetism, etc. But do you doubt the laws of physics, despite lack of a unifying theory?

Biology has a unifying theory which explains everything, yet you view that theory as inconsistent with the evidence or inferior to some unknown future theory?
It is an inferior 'hope' as compared to a law supported by mathematical evidence that can be repoduced in an experiment in a controled setting.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:17 PM   #113
creekster

Quote:
Maybe they are missing because they never existed. You MUST accept the possibility.
The problem is that I don't think they are missing at all. I have tried to explain my thoughts on this, but I feel like we are using the term in different ways.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:17 PM   #114
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Ok, then how unlikely is it that he did so? It's only unlikely in the context of a literal belief in Genesis. Otherwise, it fits in fine with my view of God and his capacities.
I don't profess a literal belief in Genesis ... and neither does Indy or Tex by the way.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:18 PM   #115
creekster

Quote:
It is an inferior 'hope' as compared to a law supported by mathematical evidence that can be repoduced in an experiment in a controled setting.
Evolution is easily reporduced in a controlled setting. Change a gene, get a different critter. Easy.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:19 PM   #116
creekster

Quote:
I don't profess a literal belief in Genesis ... and neither does Indy or Tex by the way.
I understand, I am just pointing out that short of such a literal belief, there is no theological impedimaent to an acceptance of evolution.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:20 PM   #117
tooblue

Quote:
Evolution is easily reporduced in a controlled setting. Change a gene, get a different critter. Easy.
Not so fast -that's manipulation, NOT adaptation through natural selection!
Old 07-11-2007, 08:21 PM   #118
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Changing a gene gets you a smaller, larger, fatter, skinnier, different-colored version of the same critter.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:22 PM   #119
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Yet no single 'missing link' has ever been found. Now that is absurd! Which leads me to believe that we are applying the THEORY of evolution incorrectly.
I think you're misapplying the notion of "species" - it's an artificial term describing the present-day end result of a long-term differentiation in organisms.

I'm not a scientist, but I don't believe there's a "poof" moment when one species turns into a different species. I think the call for a single "missing link" is perpetuated by people who don't understand or don't believe the process.

Fossilization, and the the discovery of and accurate identification of a fossil, is a very rare and complex process. It's not a process that's going to yield a complete picture of evolution. Scientists are taking bits and pieces in the attempt to put together a big picture.

The bits and pieces that have been found tend to support the principles of natural selection and "theory of evolution."

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:22 PM   #120
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Nevertheless, I believe that God used evolution to give us "the light of Christ" or a conscience.

So when D&C talks about the light of Christ infusing our existence, you take this to mean end result of evolution, a gentically based urge that results from adaptive behavior?