cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2006, 03:25 PM   #1
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa
Default Mike & OhioBlue: I'm interested in your professional opinions

Regarding the Terrell Owens situation.

I'd like to see what both of you think. My family has been stricken deeply with the disease of depression. Though I'm normally a sarcastic guy and don't take a lot seriously, depression is one thing I take very seriously and I would really like to read what both of you think.

Thanks.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:28 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

i heard a report that TO had a previous serious adverse reaction to painkillers in the past, before this.

So I'm not so quick to discount this , that TO was out of his gourd and not acting rationally. We'll see.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:30 PM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

What are they saying in Dallas about TO's privacy being violated? It seems to me that somebody has reported things to the press that should never have been public knowledge. Either the EMT's or the Police must have spoken to a reporter. Surely there are laws regarding privacy that these professionals must follow.

My guess is some reporter with a scanner got himself down to the hospital and he's likely the one who reported actually seeing Owens there. It just seems so inappropriate and quite frankly illegal to have this info leaked to the media like it was. I feel for TO here.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:33 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure what rules govern EMT and police, but it would be against HIPAA for a doctor to publicize this, or a hospital.

I'm not following the media here in dallas to know what the chatter is about.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:33 PM   #5
FMCoug

FMCoug

It's definitely bizarre. But I wouldn't expect anything different out of DPD / Dallas city government in general.

But between this and the kugr/PK/ringtonegate thing, I'm definitely not lacking in entertainment lately.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:25 PM   #6
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't have a professional opinion, too little information.

But I'll give you my personal opinion:

Wouldn't surprise me if:
--it was a legitimate suicide attempt
--it was a cry for help
--it was triggered in part by a reaction to meds
--he is depressed, and it is a product of environment and personality
--he is depressed, and it is fueled primarily by biology

There, is that broad enough? In all seriousness, the point I think I'm making is that if I've learned anything, it's that human beings are complex. Far, far more complex than can be captured by any attempts at reductionistic science, searching for biological correlates/roots, labelling a set of symptoms with some fancy term, or for that matter someone's best guesses based on just gut feel.

I could see a lot of explanations for TO's behavior making a lot of sense, but we just don't know. At least, not us here on CG or in sports fandom. But I'm sure there will be plenty of knee-jerk reactions and authoritative proclamations about what the problem was.

I just prefer to honor the human experience and the complexity of a being a little more than all that. If that makes any sense at all.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:34 PM   #7
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

i think most of the info came from a police report which is public records.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:55 PM   #8
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewth8tr View Post
i think most of the info came from a police report which is public records.
I heard about it last night very late. I can't imagine that a police report was already written nor can I understand how anyone would have known to go down and request it.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:29 AM   #9
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

I think ohioblue's right that human behavior is complex, lots of possibilities could fit the existing data, and there's not enough information to make a solid judgment. However, my hunch is that it's the least exciting of the possibilities -- I'm guessing it's a bad reaction to the pain killers. He has a history of bad responses to them. I've seen people have severe reactions to them in which they were so disoriented that they didn't know there gender anymore and their behavior was completely atypical. I think he was probably disoriented, had clouded thinking, and didn't know up from down at the moment.

In my opinion if a guy like TO was going to make a cry for help, it would be so loud that it would hurt the ears of the astronauts on the moon. The guy has serious personality problems and is an interpersonal wrecking ball. If he just wanted attention he would have done something that was more gratifying to his narcissism. If he has a major depression, he's functioning very well despite it.

I'm going beyond the data available, but I think TO's probably right -- I'm guessing this had nothing to do with suicide.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote