cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 03:35 PM   #1
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road
Default Being out front or Miking it...

This is from Vande Velde's diary.

This is a serious question. Is it better to have tired legs from riding at the front all day for a week or because you haven't slept in a week, sitting bolt upright every time you dream that you are riding into the back of the guy ahead and your brakes aren't working?

Personally I like the situation we are currently in, dictating the race, rather than having its terms handed to us by other teams. Really, it sucks having no impact on the race whatsoever and suffering from behind nonetheless while getting from point A to B.

Being on the front hurts, but sitting on the wheel is kinda like an annoying pain that kills you mentally. You start to think that you are the only guy in the field hurting. After a while, your self esteem takes a knock when you begin to wonder how it's possible that those guys in the front - some of whom you've never even heard of - are breaking my legs like this.

I've felt that same way. When you hurt just trying to hold on it really can be a downer. If a rider is going to hurt they might as well go out front and go down in a blaze of glory.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 03:40 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I was hurting in the back of a pace line on my first group ride with my club. Finally, I was second in the line, and could BARELY hold the wheel of the guy in front of me (turned out he is a serious competitor and probably the fastest guy there, and turned up the screws on his pull). So then I am completely in the red zone and am on front. I pulled for a minute, then pulled off, and waved goodbye to the riders.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I was hurting in the back of a pace line on my first group ride with my club. Finally, I was second in the line, and could BARELY hold the wheel of the guy in front of me (turned out he is a serious competitor and probably the fastest guy there, and turned up the screws on his pull). So then I am completely in the red zone and am on front. I pulled for a minute, then pulled off, and waved goodbye to the riders.
I bet you put the hurt on them for that minute.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
I bet you put the hurt on them for that minute.
probably. because it was my first time to be in a paceline. And the usual beginner mistake is to lift the pace when you get to the front. it's hard to judge how fast to go.

I'd love to do that again.

Every other time I did that ride, it was just pack riding. Paceline was due to the speed, and the headwind, and someo of the people attending.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote