cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 06:03 PM   #1
tkh9

tkh9
Default Bike Advice

So, I'm looking at getting a new road bike. I'm not real set on what I want to get, but I have considered looking at the Cannondale Synapse Carbon and the Cannondale Six13.

Do any of you know much about either of those bikes or can you give any recommendations about them? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
tkh9
tkh9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

They both look great.
I ride a Cannondale. You can't go wrong with one. Although Cannondale has a unuque feel. You need to ride one if you haven't already. Some people hate them.
How do you plan to use it?
Have you decided between Dura-Ace or Ultegra on the Synapse?
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:50 PM   #3
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I am both literally and figuratively a huge cannondale fan. I own a cannondale MB, touring bike, crit frame (an old one) and a tandem. I do nto know much about the synapse, but I know a guy that has the six13 and loves it. Q is correct, however, that you should ride it first to make sure you like the feel, as they can be a bit different, although I think the newer ones (and these both qualify as newewr) are not as different as the older ones. Let us know what you get.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:24 PM   #4
tkh9

tkh9

Q,

I appreciate the advice. I haven't made any decision on Dura-Ace or Ultegra on the Synapse. Honestly, I'm a little inclined towards whichever one is cheaper, since it's more than I ever anticipated spending on a bike, but I'm also not afraid to pay for more if I'm only going to regret it later. Any advice you can give on choosing between them would be helpful.

Creek and Q,

My aunt has a Cannondale MB. It's a men's bike because she's tall, and had a hard time getting one in her size although she recently upgraded to a women's specific Specialized RB. Anyway, I've ridden it several times and always enjoyed it. As for the synapse, I've only ridden it around in the parking lot of a bike shop. I like the way it feels, but I'd really like to get it out and ride it for an hour or so to see how it really feels. I'm not sure how you can get a real test ride like that, but if you have recommendations on that, I'd be grateful.

Thanks for the help and I'll let you guys know what I end up getting.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:11 PM   #5
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

Unless you are going to be racing or riding lots of miles, I wouldn't spend for the Dura-Ace. Ultegra would be great. You could even for 105 and be fine. The real difference you will notice is when shifting under power. Which happens during races or major climbs. if you don't plan to do either...
Just don't spend that much on a road bike to leave it in the garage.
it is the Cannondale road bikes that are a different ride. I haven't ridden a MB. But you deffinately want to get it out of the shop for a couple of minutes.
I would also highly recomend a Specialized Allez. A great bike for the money. I think you can get any group too. 105, Ultegra etc.
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:16 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Dura Ace or Ultegra or a Dura Ace-Ultegra blend is important.

Get what you like.

There are so many good frames nowadays, I think compentry, seat post, stem, fork, ball bearings and that stuff is more important than whose frame you purchase.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:20 AM   #7
tkh9

tkh9

Seeking further advice.

It looks like my decision is coming down to the Cannondale Synapse Carbon 2 Ultegra/Dura-Ace (2006) or potentially a (2007) Specialized Roubaix Compact Expert.

Any advice you have on picking between the two would be appreciated. The truth is, I understand a lot of the differences, but I don't have much of a clue as to what my preference between the two would be.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:29 AM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Specialized would be my preference.