cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road
Default Beautiful Morning for a Ride

Got out for an hour this morning.

Wish I could find a group to ride with, but for now I am pushing myself to be able to average 18 mph for 25 miles. Cant do it yet.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/5215860#

hope no one tracks me down and kills me
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:21 PM   #2
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Was that average temp pretty close? 37.4 deg? Man, you're a lot tougher than I am, to be calling that a beautiful day.

Our start time temp was about 50 deg and it was up to probably 65 by finish 3 hours later. We had 6 of us this morning. I got hammered by a couple of guys who are in amazing shape for this early in the year. They were unrelenting. But man, it was nice to get out on the road after riding the trainer for the last 2 weeks.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 10:02 PM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Was that average temp pretty close? 37.4 deg? Man, you're a lot tougher than I am, to be calling that a beautiful day.

Our start time temp was about 50 deg and it was up to probably 65 by finish 3 hours later. We had 6 of us this morning. I got hammered by a couple of guys who are in amazing shape for this early in the year. They were unrelenting. But man, it was nice to get out on the road after riding the trainer for the last 2 weeks.
Dang, you Californians are weather wusses.

37.4° ain't cold.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 10:37 PM   #4
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post

It has been pretty dang accurate. It felt warmer through. Way better than the day I went out at 15 degrees and turned my balls into stone.

Sounds like your ride was nice. I wish I could convince the wife to let me go for 3 hours. Gotta work on that one.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:16 AM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

It's seventy to eighty where I am. Perfect time for windsurfing, running and riding.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:58 AM   #6
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
Sounds like your ride was nice. I wish I could convince the wife to let me go for 3 hours. Gotta work on that one.
Its all about timing and working out acceptable time trades for spare weekend moments. I usually start riding or running well before sunrise on Saturday. This makes a 3 hour ride a little palatable, especially when I finish when the kids are just finishing breakfast.

Yesterday my wife went for a run just before 7:00 and I left at 8:00. It put me home just after 11:00, which is a bit later than I like, but it worked okay for both of us.

If she has any hobbies, definitely bend over backward to support her in them. In my experience, it really helps her to maintain her sense of balance and sanity, especially if you have little kids and she spends a great deal of time with them. It also makes exercise time easier to negotiate if you are willing to work with her.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:39 PM   #7
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It's seventy to eighty where I am. Perfect time for windsurfing, running and riding.
Arch -
If I remember correctly, you're a Vegas guy. And, I think there are two Vegas century rides out your way...one in the spring and another in the fall.

You riding in any of those? I think you cheat because you can get out and ride whenever you want. Here in Utah, this week Jack Frost finally got the boot I think for good, and I got out on the weekend and rode today at lunch. Things are definitely looking up as far as riding is concerned.

Anyway, if you're going to be riding in Vegas...let me know.
The Borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:41 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Borg View Post
Arch -
If I remember correctly, you're a Vegas guy. And, I think there are two Vegas century rides out your way...one in the spring and another in the fall.

You riding in any of those? I think you cheat because you can get out and ride whenever you want. Here in Utah, this week Jack Frost finally got the boot I think for good, and I got out on the weekend and rode today at lunch. Things are definitely looking up as far as riding is concerned.

Anyway, if you're going to be riding in Vegas...let me know.
There is one in April and the one in which you went seventy on first weekend in May. I will probably ride the May event.