cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2008, 08:39 PM   #1
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road
Default My thoughts on the game last night.

My thoughts on the game last night.

There really isn’t many positives to be taken out of this game. It was a horrible game really from all 3 parts of the game.
1. TCU exposed our biggest weakness. Our secondary. It was evident from the initial play when they went right at Brandon Howard and he got the pass interference then to return to attacking him for the touchdown. They were going after him all game long. Here was a TCU team that had yet to be effective moving the ball through the air and they did it with ease last night. Our Secondary is really really bad. I also didn’t like how our coaches failed to adjust, last night once again we were able to get them into 3rd and long situations and once again our DB’s did their job by keeping the play in front of them. Well keeping the play in front of them was also giving them the first down time and time again. I really hope that we start recruiting some JC DB’s right away. Fowler and Howard should not be seeing the field period.
2. Once again the play from our middle backers was average at best. I don’t understand how at the start of the game you don’t realize that #85 when lined up at QB was probably not going to throw the football.
3. Oswald just got owned last night plan and simple. Hughes is a speed guy that weighs in around 235 or 240 in the same mold as Bruce Davis and he just completely changed the offensive game plan. We had to keep a back in to account for him which allowed TCU to defend our routes better because their was once person to account for. Having to keep Harvey and Fui in every play to help with pass protection allowed TCU to double up on Pitta and Collie all night long.
4. The double coverage just killed us. All I have to say is that Max had tunnel vision telegraphing every single throw and he needs to get some confidence is other players beside Pitta and Collie. This leads into play calling and I guess we don’t have crossing routes in our offense. I watched the game on T.V. but I don’t remember seeing hardly any crossing routes called. I saw a lot of skinny posts down the field but don’t recall seeing any crossing routes against a team that looked to be playing man all night long.
5. No passion. I was not at the game last night so I am getting this 2nd hand but the people that were there and people I talked to are pretty reliable and said there was no passion from the team. This surprises me. Honestly if you can't get up for this game then what game can you get up for? I thought we had no passion when we played Utah St. and New Mexico and from what I have heard there was once again no passion from our team. This concerns me for future games. I see 2 or 3 teams on our schedule that could beat us if we don't change that.

I have more thoughts and could probably could go on for awhile but I will stop there because I am really ripping into our team to much.

TCU is the better team. We were out coached and out played by a better team last night. TCU is a good football team.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:45 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

It's hard to display passion when you are getting massacred. there was no passion.

I agree on the pass rush, the secondary. there were no slants, no crossing routes. And frankly little in the way of open receivers.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah the big thing for me was the fact that we got punched in the mouth and just curled up in the fetal position instead of fighting back. If we lose that game 32-21 fine its a loss and we still got dominated but at least we showed some heart.

We had two chances inside the redzone in that game to make it respectable and we didnt play with enough passion to care. Similar to the defense not being able to get a stop on a 3rd down.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:50 PM   #4
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
My thoughts on the game last night.

There really isn’t many positives to be taken out of this game. It was a horrible game really from all 3 parts of the game.
1. TCU exposed our biggest weakness. Our secondary. It was evident from the initial play when they went right at Brandon Howard and he got the pass interference then to return to attacking him for the touchdown. They were going after him all game long. Here was a TCU team that had yet to be effective moving the ball through the air and they did it with ease last night. Our Secondary is really really bad. I also didn’t like how our coaches failed to adjust, last night once again we were able to get them into 3rd and long situations and once again our DB’s did their job by keeping the play in front of them. Well keeping the play in front of them was also giving them the first down time and time again. I really hope that we start recruiting some JC DB’s right away. Fowler and Howard should not be seeing the field period.
2. Once again the play from our middle backers was average at best. I don’t understand how at the start of the game you don’t realize that #85 when lined up at QB was probably not going to throw the football.
3. Oswald just got owned last night plan and simple. Hughes is a speed guy that weighs in around 235 or 240 in the same mold as Bruce Davis and he just completely changed the offensive game plan. We had to keep a back in to account for him which allowed TCU to defend our routes better because their was once person to account for. Having to keep Harvey and Fui in every play to help with pass protection allowed TCU to double up on Pitta and Collie all night long.
4. The double coverage just killed us. All I have to say is that Max had tunnel vision telegraphing every single throw and he needs to get some confidence is other players beside Pitta and Collie. This leads into play calling and I guess we don’t have crossing routes in our offense. I watched the game on T.V. but I don’t remember seeing hardly any crossing routes called. I saw a lot of skinny posts down the field but don’t recall seeing any crossing routes against a team that looked to be playing man all night long.
5. No passion. I was not at the game last night so I am getting this 2nd hand but the people that were there and people I talked to are pretty reliable and said there was no passion from the team. This surprises me. Honestly if you can't get up for this game then what game can you get up for? I thought we had no passion when we played Utah St. and New Mexico and from what I have heard there was once again no passion from our team. This concerns me for future games. I see 2 or 3 teams on our schedule that could beat us if we don't change that.

I have more thoughts and could probably could go on for awhile but I will stop there because I am really ripping into our team to much.

TCU is the better team. We were out coached and out played by a better team last night. TCU is a good football team.
Agreed on all counts.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:59 PM   #5
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I agree HL.

Last night was a disaster all the way around.

and like Junkie said,,,if they would've just swung back instead of getting punched in the teeth and then spent the rest of the time looking around to place them back in their mouth,,,,they got staggered early and never recovered and here's the part that kills me...never played with a sense of urgency.

After they scored a TD in the 3rd quarter, I said to my brother..."Whoopde-fucking-do....they're down by 26 points and are driving down the field like they've just got all the time in the world....and the drive took over 7 minutes."

No urgency.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:08 PM   #6
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I agree HL.

Last night was a disaster all the way around.

and like Junkie said,,,if they would've just swung back instead of getting punched in the teeth and then spent the rest of the time looking around to place them back in their mouth,,,,they got staggered early and never recovered and here's the part that kills me...never played with a sense of urgency.

After they scored a TD in the 3rd quarter, I said to my brother..."Whoopde-fucking-do....they're down by 26 points and are driving down the field like they've just got all the time in the world....and the drive took over 7 minutes."

No urgency.
I blame that on Anae. I was telling my father that I hope they come out with some sort of hurry up offense in the second half. Just to put TCU on their heels maybe and try and establish some sort of rhythm like they were able to at the end of the first half. I was so pissed when they started grinding the ball like they were on that drive thinking exactly what you were Rocky. That's what we needed in the first half not the second.

No adjustments. No passion. This killed me as well, which is why I lamented earlier that I miss Shay Muirbrook. I hate how we always have these pussies that won't fight back. There were no leaders on the field last night.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #7
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post

No urgency.
I was thinking the same thing. It took them 8 minutes to score. Well damn Anae, let's take up the entire 3rd quarter for one damn score.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:19 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
I was thinking the same thing. It took them 8 minutes to score. Well damn Anae, let's take up the entire 3rd quarter for one damn score.
if they could have scored quick, they would have. It's not like Anae said, "let's not score quick."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:07 AM   #9
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
if they could have scored quick, they would have. It's not like Anae said, "let's not score quick."
That isn't exactly true. BYU should have gone to a hurry up offense much earlier in the game, if not to save clock, at least to throw TCU off balance (much like OU did by snapping the ball immediately when TCU had 12 people on the field). When BYU finally went no huddle, they were still burning the entire play clock before snapping the ball. It was the worst no huddle offense that I have ever seen from a BYU team. They had no energy, no sense of urgency, no passion. Just awful.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:59 PM   #10
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default which of the coaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
That isn't exactly true. BYU should have gone to a hurry up offense much earlier in the game, if not to save clock, at least to throw TCU off balance (much like OU did by snapping the ball immediately when TCU had 12 people on the field). When BYU finally went no huddle, they were still burning the entire play clock before snapping the ball. It was the worst no huddle offense that I have ever seen from a BYU team. They had no energy, no sense of urgency, no passion. Just awful.
show passion.......at any time? Claude Bassett, Roger French, come to mind. Someone has to get into the player's grill at times. Too many managers and not enough coaches.