cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2008, 03:22 AM   #1
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road
Default Ultimate Tailgating Question

If you were to have an "Ultimate Tailgate", what type of stuff would you have there?

I know I would want a Big Screen TV with either past game highlights, other games on TV or playing NCAA 2009. Food would be a must with Brats and beverages. But what else would you have to help with the atmosphere? Am I missing anything else?
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:27 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

caffeine free Mountain Dew.

(which I discovered is in North Carolina).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:32 AM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

An ultimate tailgate with an unlimited budget? I'd get one of those smokers built on to a trailer and show up the day before to start smoking some pork, throw in some ribs and chicken the next morning. Brats are very good and fun to eat at a tailgate, but child's play for an ultimate tailgate.

In Ohio, cornhole is a must at every tailgate. The game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornhole_(game)), not the kind of stuff that goes on in the pirate ship.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:36 AM   #4
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
caffeine free Mountain Dew.

(which I discovered is in North Carolina).
They sold that in the Twilight Zone at BYU. It performed adequately when I needed a little sugar jolt, though I prefer the leaded version.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:38 AM   #5
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Tailgated with some UCLA fans last year. The guy had a 250k RV. He had leather couches outside facing the back, a door rolled up with a full media system. He was rolling in style, most of you that went probably saw him he was right across the bridge from the golf course right next to the stadium. I started talking to him and he cooked me some food and let us hang out for a while.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:03 AM   #6
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd have multiple tv's, each showing different live games. And if it's "ultimate," the food selection would be massive: wings, bbq, burgers, brats, chili, cheese sticks, the whole nine yards. And Kristina Baskett.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:24 AM   #7
BYUTexan

BYUTexan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
An ultimate tailgate with an unlimited budget? I'd get one of those smokers built on to a trailer and show up the day before to start smoking some pork, throw in some ribs and chicken the next morning. Brats are very good and fun to eat at a tailgate, but child's play for an ultimate tailgate.

In Ohio, cornhole is a must at every tailgate. The game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornhole_(game)), not the kind of stuff that goes on in the pirate ship.
Beef Brisket would rival any pork

The eyes of Texas are upon you Michael Reed (and David Nixon).
BYUTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:21 AM   #8
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
They sold that in the Twilight Zone at BYU. It performed adequately when I needed a little sugar jolt, though I prefer the leaded version.
Whenever we go to Utah, I pick up several cases of it. Also, CF Dr Pepper. Both taste heavenly.

SoCal tailgates usually include local mex....carne asada, rice and beans, tamales, guac......so I would add that to the traditional bbq stuff.

Also, I am not a drinker, but for whatever reason, SC and FUCLA tailgates seem to be powered by Patron. Might as well toss in a bottle at the BYU tailgate for good measure.

For some reason, playing video games at a tailgate has never interested me. I prefer walking around and visiting with people.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:43 PM   #9
SipiTau

SipiTau is on a distinguished road

I'm stuck at work, so the best shots I could find were off our myfamily page. Here's a typical game day for the Sipi Tau family:

Taken @ 4:30am; getting food ready for the morning arrivals. We usually line up at the lot by 10pm on Friday night and get to our preferred spot by midnight. Takes us about an hour to get everything up. Setup is two 20'x10' popups and two flat screens; one for the Wii and the second for football games. We run our dish for the second game. I'm kicking around bringing in a smoker for this season.

We end up feeding all the poly players and their families:

It's your typical tailgate fare: brats, burgers, dogs and always complimented with kalua pork, poke, spam musubi, fried rice, mac salad, taro...no one goes away hungry.

It's an all day affair, depending on the kickoff time, I'm at the stadium for possibly 24+ hours on the weekend. It's hard work, but NOTHING beats college football in the fall!
SipiTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:10 PM   #10
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Holy crap....is your sig line accurate? Are you related to Rey Maualuga?

His sideline hit at the end of the FUCLA game two years ago...wow.

You all set for the the Luckeye game? I think I am going to stop by your tent and sample some of that kalua pork.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote