cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UCF game

Sometimes a win emotionally feels like a loss.

It's hard to believe how inept this offense is. Let's see....we have the same quarterback, but now he is more experienced. We have the same running backs. We have the same wide receivers, except for one major upgrade (Apo). And I had thought we had about the same or better offensive line.

Let's see. What's the missing piece of this puzzle? Ah yes, the offensive coordinator from last year was replaced with Brandon Doman.

I had really thought that Jake Heaps was poised to possibly be the greatest QB ever at BYU, which would be a huge accomplishment. That hope has vanished. Good arm, bad brain. Reminds me of John Beck. Beck eventually came around and improved and became a very good quarterback. But nothing to tell your grandchildren about in 20 years. Contrast that with Ty Detmer, who was a master of avoiding the rush and surveying the field. Making things happen on the fly. He was Tony Romo, without the size and arm strength. And he was that way almost from the beginning. When Heaps has to improvise, it's always bad.

I was perplexed when the announcer said that the BYU coaches had told them that Heaps may have "over-confidence." If he is still suffering from over-confidence, he may need a sports psychologist.

I have to give the game ball to Brian Kariya. Prior to his showing in the 2nd half, I had been complaining in my mind, "will one of these running backs please break a tackle??!!" Nice to see the hard running through weak tackles. He doesn't have a lot of talent. But he does have heart.

And finally the offensive line showed at least marginal ability to run block.

Overall, I suspect the fan base feels demoralized by the Utah blowout, followed yet again by a very marginal showing on the home field.

Would anyone be surprised if BYU loses to Utah State? That's what it has come to. Might be a good time to focus on other things in life.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
BYUsportsguy

BYUsportsguy is on a distinguished road

Highlight reel of the game against UCF:
http://www.byusportsguy.com/football...ghlight-video/
BYUsportsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Sometimes a win emotionally feels like a loss.

It's hard to believe how inept this offense is. Let's see....we have the same quarterback, but now he is more experienced. We have the same running backs. We have the same wide receivers, except for one major upgrade (Apo). And I had thought we had about the same or better offensive line.

Let's see. What's the missing piece of this puzzle? Ah yes, the offensive coordinator from last year was replaced with Brandon Doman.

I had really thought that Jake Heaps was poised to possibly be the greatest QB ever at BYU, which would be a huge accomplishment. That hope has vanished. Good arm, bad brain. Reminds me of John Beck. Beck eventually came around and improved and became a very good quarterback. But nothing to tell your grandchildren about in 20 years. Contrast that with Ty Detmer, who was a master of avoiding the rush and surveying the field. Making things happen on the fly. He was Tony Romo, without the size and arm strength. And he was that way almost from the beginning. When Heaps has to improvise, it's always bad.

I was perplexed when the announcer said that the BYU coaches had told them that Heaps may have "over-confidence." If he is still suffering from over-confidence, he may need a sports psychologist.

I have to give the game ball to Brian Kariya. Prior to his showing in the 2nd half, I had been complaining in my mind, "will one of these running backs please break a tackle??!!" Nice to see the hard running through weak tackles. He doesn't have a lot of talent. But he does have heart.

And finally the offensive line showed at least marginal ability to run block.

Overall, I suspect the fan base feels demoralized by the Utah blowout, followed yet again by a very marginal showing on the home field.

Would anyone be surprised if BYU loses to Utah State? That's what it has come to. Might be a good time to focus on other things in life.
Although I would be greatly disappointed but not surprised by a USU win, given the woeful state of the offense, my best guess is that BYU wins by a TD or two.

The defense will keep us in the game and the significantly worse defense by USU, even with pent up emotions, will allow BYU to perform better.

We won't know if the offense is better until the TCU game as no team between then and now has the quality of defensive players. So we'll see improvement but it might be more based upon the lack of quality of opponents as opposed to the offense getting better.