cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Contact with family members over honeymoon?
Not of their dead bodies 2 10.00%
No, why? 13 65.00%
Yes, I wanted to report how it went 0 0%
Yes, they wouldn't let go 5 25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2008, 10:31 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
I did not give the name or number of our hotel to the in-laws, but my parents had it. When my MIL started insisting she needed to call us, my parents told her to wait for a little while. Then she said she was going to start opening wedding presents, and my parents finally gave her the number so we would tell her to stop.
So you put your vote down with Marsupial and Barbara why don't you. You admit it in print but won't vote.

Perhaps some other disclosures about Mike will bring him out. Does Mike personally know the author of the article?
Old 11-07-2008, 11:03 PM   #12
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

We called twice: once to let her parents know that we had arrived safely at a certain place. Two, to remind them to pick us up at the SLC airport.

Apart from that, no, not a lot of calling home.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:24 PM   #13
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

We had very little contact with family members during our honeymoon. We hoped for zero contact but we did get a call from a family member a couple days into the honeymoon.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 01:30 AM   #14
Donuthole

Donuthole is on a distinguished road

I voted wrong. On our way to the airport in Vegas, my FIL called us and told us he left his wallet in his tuxedo. So I had to call my dad and make sure he pulled it out before he returned the tuxedos. Other than that, nada.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:45 AM   #15
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I did not give the name or number of our hotel to the in-laws, but my parents had it. When my MIL started insisting she needed to call us, my parents told her to wait for a little while. Then she said she was going to start opening wedding presents, and my parents finally gave her the number so we would tell her to stop.
Does anybody else think that this explains volumes? For the first time, I think I'm feeling a strange feeling . . . what is this feeling? P i t y for MikeWaters? For sons, it always leads back to the mother . . .
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:23 AM   #16
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Does anybody else think that this explains volumes? For the first time, I think I'm feeling a strange feeling . . . what is this feeling? P i t y for MikeWaters? For sons, it always leads back to the mother . . .
I thought a similar thing, but didn't say it.

The second Farrah recounted a buttinski but well meaning MIL, I thought...aha!

As Clouseau would say, the case is Sol-ved!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-08-2008, 04:58 AM   #17
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Honeymoon was one week long, and the former MIL arranged things so that two nights would be spent in her home, plus she would see us on two other days, including having six meals together, attending her ward, and attend a temple session with her. Little did I know at the time that the experience was only a sneak preview of things to come.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:26 AM   #18
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
I never know how much to reveal on these message boards about my spouse. Perhaps I revealed too much personal info about Mike's mom. Sorry about that.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:34 AM   #19
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I never know how much to reveal on these message boards about my spouse. Perhaps I revealed too much personal info about Mike's mom. Sorry about that.
No more revealing than he, and if weren't for the quirks, we'd have no stories. Mike often remarks how much he likes stories. As do we all, so thanks for sharing.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:17 PM   #20
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Honeymoon was one week long, and the former MIL arranged things so that two nights would be spent in her home, plus she would see us on two other days, including having six meals together, attending her ward, and attend a temple session with her. Little did I know at the time that the experience was only a sneak preview of things to come.
ute4, didnt it strike you as either annoying or strange that your ex-wife wanted to spend so much time with her mom on the honeymoon, and vice versa?

When my wife were first married, we lived in utah while I was going to jrcls....2L and 3L years.

My inlaws expected us (not in a militant, gay agenda sort of way) to go to their home on Sundays for dinner or when the family had an activity (school play, birthday party, get together, etc). My wife's biological father lives in AZ. When the holidays rolled around, it was a huge flare up because both sets of parents were offended at the thought that we would spend the holidays with the other set (neither set cared at all about my family's preferences, interestingly enough...and for the record, my family always left it up to us, to this day even though we 45 mins away)

After the first 5 months, and freaked out a bit. I knew that we were being used as pawns in a game of Divorced Politics between the two sets of parents. I had to sit down with my wife and lay out my case. My wife quickly agreed. We went to both sets of parents and put the proverbial foot down. We announced that from then on, we would attend or not attend whatever function we felt like attending. Holidays would be spent wherever we wanted to spend them, often just at our own home. If we chose to visit someone, there would be no score-keeping, no requisite alternative every other year, etc. We also expressed our love for both and the likelihood that, for practical purposes, not much would change, save for the attitude of expectation that we "had" to go somewhere if the parents felt we should be there.

Turned out to be the best decision of our early marriage. We were mavericks!