cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #61
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
priesthood = authority

Authority exercised = power
priesthood = authority, authority exercised = power, alility to cut the

priesthood holder off=negates all power
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #62
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Women are lucky. They are restricted in what callings they can have. They get off easy. That's why for the men, it's a constant struggle to fill callings, whereas in RS they make up these ridiculous callings. "Enrichment assistant who brings the chalk to meetings".
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #63
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
When my ex-wife was called to be the Young Women's President, one of the first meetings she attended was one where they discussed the budgets for the Young Men and the Young Women. During the meeting, she innocently asked why the budget for the Young Men was more than double that of the Young Women, and was told that it was because the activities that the Young Men attended cost more than those of the Young Women. The men in the room seemed genuinely surprised when she wasn't satisfied with that explanation.
That's hilarious because in my experience the YW and Relief Society budgets are much larger than their YM and EQ/HP counterparts.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:30 PM   #64
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
When my ex-wife was called to be the Young Women's President, one of the first meetings she attended was one where they discussed the budgets for the Young Men and the Young Women. During the meeting, she innocently asked why the budget for the Young Men was more than double that of the Young Women, and was told that it was because the activities that the Young Men attended cost more than those of the Young Women. The men in the room seemed genuinely surprised when she wasn't satisfied with that explanation.

I don't believe you Seq. In every budget item, I've seen, the YW budget is double or triple what the YM budget was. If you're not pulling a Sooner, your ward was weird.

Last edited by Archaea; 10-05-2007 at 05:33 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:33 PM   #65
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Do you really believe women operate in the hereafter as appendages to me, as you and other mullahs are wont to pontificate?
Not appendages to you. Appendages to the priesthood. Gratefully, that is not the same thing.

Quote:
I don't. I believe the organization of the hereafter will be vastly different than it is here, in our imperfect states. I imagine women exercise similar if not identical authority in the hereafter. How it's constructed I have no idea. However, I imagine Mother in Heaven will kick our butts with bolts of lightening and thunder such that to make Zeus jealous.
Mag wohl sein. We don't know much about what life will be like in the afterlife, but I imagine there will be several things different, and the method of priesthood administration is likely one of them.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:33 PM   #66
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I don't believe Seq. In every budget item, I've seen, the YW budget is double or triple what the YM budget was. If you're not pulling a Sooner, your ward was weird.
I swear to God this is true. It was about 15 years ago when I was living in Boise. Perhaps things have changed since then.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:36 PM   #67
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I swear to God this is true. It was about 15 years ago when I was living in Boise. Perhaps things have changed since then.
In seq's defense, it has always bothered me that YM can fundraise, and YW are not supposed to. It's been a while since I've read the handbook on this issue, but I remember this being the case.

I think we can do more as a priesthood body to cater to the needs of the YW. (No sex jokes, please.) I fear that many Bishops know all about the scouting program and where each of their boys is at, but may not know too much about Young Womanhood Recognition.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:36 PM   #68
Archaea

Quote:
And they were different before then.

And every single YW's president had no problem whatsoever asking for more. It is not believable any woman ever failed to ask for more money and that any man was surprised a woman asked for more money. Come on, Seq, you're too transparent on this one. Pure BS.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:41 PM   #69
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
And they were different before then.

And every single YW's president had no problem whatsoever asking for more. It is not believable any woman ever failed to ask for more money and that any man was surprised a woman asked for more money. Come on, Seq, you're too transparent on this one. Pure BS.
You'll just have to believe that I did not consult the POMA database to get these facts. Unless my ex lied to me, it's a true story. She was told that the Young Men had an annual water ski trip they attended and some other big event that I don't remember.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:43 PM   #70
Archaea

Quote:
You'll just have to believe that I did not consult the POMA database to get these facts. Unless my ex lied to me, it's a true story. She was told that the Young Men had an annual water ski trip they attended and some other big event that I don't remember.
Well perhaps in Idaho, where the Church is not true, it may have occurred. Afterall Idaho members are not allowed to wear capris because those violate the tablet given to Ricks.