cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 04:14 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default It is sad to see Disco go

http://velonews.com/race/dom/articles/13266.0.html
Old 09-13-2007, 04:15 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

not really. I am glad to see Lance's influence wane.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
not really. I am glad to see Lance's influence wane.
I liked his dedication to the sport and fear it will die in American's consciousness.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:25 PM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

EVen though it sometimes makes me feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football that Lucy is holding, I can't help but be a fan of Lance (as a bike racer) and I am saddened by Disco's departure and, to be honest, while I think it is nice that they are going out in an american race, I really think that a spot on the podium in paris would have been the best palce for them to end it as opposed to the tour of the show me state (apologies to any show me-ers present).
Old 09-13-2007, 05:03 PM   #5
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

I hate to see the team disbanded. They came in a did a great job of filling the void that was left by the breakup of team 7-11. I hope Slip Stream can pick up the baton and do well on the international scene.

What do you think the future holds for U.S. Cycling? I'm amazed that a race from Logan to Jackson can fill up in a day but look who is filling those spots. Mainly guys 35-50. Does the youth of this country cycle or do they just play video games all day? Does cost keep them from riding? It is just a sport for guys who can't run anymore?
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:15 PM   #6
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post

What do you think the future holds for U.S. Cycling? I'm amazed that a race from Logan to Jackson can fill up in a day but look who is filling those spots. Mainly guys 35-50. Does the youth of this country cycle or do they just play video games all day? Does cost keep them from riding? It is just a sport for guys who can't run anymore?
Good question. There is a pretty active group of young racers around here (Nor Cal) and one of my son's firends quit all other sports and jazz band when he was a junior in HS in order to focus on bike racing. SO there are some guys interested. IN fact, there are a lot more here than where I grew up in Utah, so maybe it just depends on where you are. Time will tell.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:31 PM   #7
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

For Slipstream to pick up where Disco left off, they have to get a new kit design. Last I heard, Vaughters was set on keeping it, but it so awful, there is no way any rec guys buy that thing. Apparently he is going for"different and recognizable". Mission accomplished Johnny.

My observation is the same as RCVs regarding my local cycling community. The vast majority (>80-90%) of serious riders are in the 30-50 range. Very rarely do I see a teenager or a 20-something out on the road. Its probably more common in the mountain bike and bmx scene, but I don't really do either, so I can't say. OTOH, I didn't get serious about riding until my late 20's, so maybe the sport will thrive on 30-40 year old guys getting involved later in life when they have a little more time and money than when they were younger.

Exhibit A:

bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote