cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road
Default Mormon Judge Marrying Gay Couple

One of my good friends at my work is gay, and he and his partner are very excited about Washington DC's imminent adoption of gay marriage.

My friend clerked for a prominent federal judge on the DC Circuit who happens to be Mormon. They are very close. This judge is a former Stake President, former prominent executive at BYU, etc.

My friend wants to ask this judge to officiate at his marriage to his long-time partner (who happens to be a well-known NPR reporter/host). I encouraged my friend to ask this judge to officiate. My friend is convinced the judge will say yes. So am I, based on some readings I've done of this judge's talks to LDS legal groups. Very loving, kind man. And did I mention this judge is very close to his former gay clerk -- he is. Closer than any judge to a clerk I've ever encountered. They email nearly every day, and go to lunch often. The judge's family still lives in Utah and so the judge often eats dinner at my friend's house. The NPR reporter future husband is supposedly a great cook.

What say ye? Should the judge be concerned at all about his standing in the church if he officiates a gay marriage?

I say no way. He's acting in his secular capacity, and following the laws of the land (not Gavin Newson here). But if he were still Stake President and he officiated at a marriage of two of his flock, buh-bye, rogue Stake Pres. But that's not what's going on here.

But if he officiates, is he supporting the leaders of the Church? Would it be equivalent to an active LDS doctor performing an abortion?
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12

Last edited by Levin; 12-02-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Who can officiate?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:23 PM   #3
Levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Who can officiate?
Not sure what you mean. Federal judges can officiate. Another way of saying, my friend wants the judge to marry them.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Old 12-02-2009, 10:32 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

"Can officiate" doesn't mean "typically officiates."

Is it really part of his job, in that it is something he will do on a non-rare basis?

Or would this just be a one-off?

Whether this would be kosher would be at the discretion of a bishop, his counselors, and potentially the stake presidency and the high council. And one assumes that different bishops and church leaders have different opinions where the church guidelines are not explicitly layed out.

Whether it would come up for consideration would probably be a function of the publicity it received. No one knows? No one cares. Article in Washington Post? Trouble brewing.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:49 PM   #5
Levin

This would be one off, but it's not unusual for federal judges to be the officiant at a wedding -- but it's not something they do in the normal course.

Really, you think trouble for the judge if he does this and it's publicized? On what grounds?