cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2008, 07:13 AM   #1
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chcago politics, possibly the most corrupt in the country...

showing us what they're really like:

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/myfox/pa...Y&pageId=1.1.1

And this corrupt political machine has given us Obama.

Great.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:44 PM   #2
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

I don't pretend to be an expert on Chicago Machine politics, but I have lived there for 22 years of my life, including during many of Obama's "local" years. My perspective on this is that:

1. Chicago politics is not nearly the machine that it was during the 60s and 70s, but despite that is still probably the most corrupt and dysfunctional large political organization in the country.

2. I don't know the extent of Obama's interractions with, and relations with the Chicago machine, but Obama was never a machine insider, never one of the power players in the machine, and never the golden boy of the machine. One thing to mention here, the Chicago machine is Democratic, but has always had white working class roots. The Daley's, and their predecessors, are from Bridgeport, traditionally a poor to middle class, white, and often racist neighborhood. Black politics and politicians have usually been on the outside of the machine.

The machine is generally concerned with Chicago politics, Obama was always a guy with national aspirations. Did Obama ever get his hands a little dirty in Chicago politics? It wouldn't shock me. But the people who want to portray him as Richard Daley III, rising on the power of, and being beholden to the Chicago machine, are really stretching it.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote