cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #1
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LDS sex education

Serious question. I have a 10-year-old step-daughter and a 9-year-old son. Before we know it, we're going to have to deal with the sex stuff.

As LDS members, we're all about abstinence before marriage. So, of course, we want that to be the overriding principle regarding our children's sexual relations.

However, I don't know that I want my children to be so naive about the issue that if they choose to disobey the rules about pre-marital sexual relations, they end up suffering worse consequences than necessary (i.e., pregnancy, STD's, etc.).

How do we, as LDS members who fully subscribe to the law of chastity, nevertheless deal with protection issues, without making it seem like we are giving a wink and a nod to premarital sex?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you talk about sex with them now? They're old enough the thoughts have been discussed at school.

And don't you describe the mechanics and what some people do? If not, you may wish to start now.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:40 PM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

The phrase "LDS Sex Education" is as oxymoronic as any I've ever heard uttered.

Please don't think I'm bashing you SoCal...I'm not....just my attempt at a lame joke, because you do bring up an important topic.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=SoCalCoug;171201]Serious question. I have a 10-year-old step-daughter and a 9-year-old son. Before we know it, we're going to have to deal with the sex stuff.

As LDS members, we're all about abstinence before marriage. So, of course, we want that to be the overriding principle regarding our children's sexual relations.

However, I don't know that I want my children to be so naive about the issue that if they choose to disobey the rules about pre-marital sexual relations, they end up suffering worse consequences than necessary (i.e., pregnancy, STD's, etc.).

What a tough, tough question. I don't have an anwer either. I have heard talking to them about birth control and it is like giving them permission. On the other hand a 15-17 year old pregnant girl is not a good situation.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:50 PM   #5
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

I'm more open than most parents about this. My five year old daughter asked where babies came from. So we told her. We didn't go into the nitty-gritty of mechanics or protection issues, but we will as she's more curious.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:00 PM   #6
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure that after my 7th grade sex ed unit I knew more about birth control than my mother. My teacher passed around a diaphragm, put a condom on a banana, talked about the pill and everything else.

What do you as a parent say about birth control? I don't really know. I am more for the open and honest approach. More important, I think, is establishing house rules that would limit their opportunities, such as no dating until 16 and then only group dates, etc. You can't be with them all the time, so when you're not, you gotta hope that they'll do the right thing. I don't know what else you can do.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:08 PM   #7
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
Serious question. I have a 10-year-old step-daughter and a 9-year-old son. Before we know it, we're going to have to deal with the sex stuff.

How do we, as LDS members who fully subscribe to the law of chastity, nevertheless deal with protection issues, without making it seem like we are giving a wink and a nod to premarital sex?

Like Marsupial said, they teach that stuff at school. Maybe a good approach would be to contrast the two styles. Church doesn't teach you anything about protection and pregnancy and STD's because they teach you not to do it and have faith that you won't. Schools assume you'll do it and teach you how to protect yourself. Analyze the two approaches with your kids, maybe even with a scenario, "what if an LDS kid messes up, would it be better to use protection?"
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:14 PM   #8
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Like Marsupial said, they teach that stuff at school. Maybe a good approach would be to contrast the two styles. Church doesn't teach you anything about protection and pregnancy and STD's because they teach you not to do it and have faith that you won't. Schools assume you'll do it and teach you how to protect yourself. Analyze the two approaches with your kids, maybe even with a scenario, "what if an LDS kid messes up, would it be better to use protection?"
Well the mechanics of birth control options can be taught best by health care professionals.

However, the role of intimacy needs to start in the home, and it must start with how the children treat others, listen to the feelings of others, and how it extends to physical contact.

In my mind, it is best to defrock the mystery of sex for children as early as possible, so that it isn't taboo.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:14 PM   #9
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

I think one of the reasons LDS girls get knocked up is they think they're not going to have sex, but then let themselves get into a situation where they end up doing it. Whereas, kids who don't think they need to wait until marriage to have sex may be more likely to come to such event prepared, because they've been hoping all along they were going to do it.

So, my advice is to tell your kids to pack a couple of Trojans in their scriptures and then to make sure they keep their scriptures with them whenever they go out.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:15 PM   #10
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
I think one of the reasons LDS girls get knocked up is they think they're not going to have sex, but then let themselves get into a situation where they end up doing it. Whereas, kids who don't think they need to wait until marriage to have sex may be more likely to come to such event prepared, because they've been hoping all along they were going to do it.

So, my advice is to tell your kids to pack a couple of Trojans in their scriptures and then to make sure they keep their scriptures with them whenever they go out.
Perhaps you should just a bunch of morning after pills in stock so that the kids know where to find them in case the unplanned sexual event happens.