cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2008, 04:11 PM   #51
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps this is a different subject, but one that most on here might be more likely to face.

I doubt too many of you have daughters who will choose to have abortions. However, like a friend of mine you might be confronted with a daughter who gets pregnant and you absolutely believe the child will be better off if she gives it up for adoption.

How much input or pressure do you think parents are allowed to put in this situation.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:11 PM   #52
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
This is an extraordinarily tough issue. To be perfectly honest, I think I woudl have one answer as a policy and perhaps, in the moment, a different answer for my daughter (who is 16, attractive like her mother, and has started dating [6 boys 'dropped by' yesterday!] and this whole thing makes me sweat). It is very easy to judge others and dictate what they shoudl do or say; it is anoterh thing to be faced with your child in this situation who is seeking advice and direction. To be completely honest, and while I am opposed to abortion, all I can say for sure is that if presented with this issue I would pray as hard as I could, do what I thought was best and hope it turns out.
We are talking about ethical/moral reasoning. Which I have said before, Mormons (and most people) tend to not be able to do.

Sure it is a tough situation! Tell us something we don't know.

We are saying, how you do you ethically justify or not justify it?

Taking a pass on ethical thinking is not the same thing as wisdom. Sorry BG.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:11 PM   #53
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Is there anything more entertaining than watching a bunch of affluent old men split hairs over this stuff?
I agree.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:12 PM   #54
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Perhaps this is a different subject, but one that most on here might be more likely to face.

I doubt too many of you have daughters who will choose to have abortions. However, like a friend of mine you might be confronted with a daughter who gets pregnant and you absolutely believe the child will be better off if she gives it up for adoption.

How much input or pressure do you think parents are allowed to put in this situation.
Well, the church teaches that parents should STRONGLY counsel daughters to give up the child for adoption, to LDS Social Services.

And that if parents do not, they are sinning.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:12 PM   #55
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
First, let me say that I'm impressed that Levin's niece has the kind of relationship with her parents where she would tell them the next day that she got drunk and had unprotected sex. There is no way in hell I would have ever divulged such information to my parents.

Second, in my opinion a fertilized egg is not a baby. For you science types, how common is it for an egg to get fertilized and then not implant (without any artifical intervention)? The woman wouldn't even know this occurred as she would then just have her period as normal. I imagine for some women, it happens regularly.

That said, I still don't know if I would encourage my daughter to run out and get the MAP. Rape, no question, but for consensual sex the "easy out" for wreckless behavior seems wrong.
How easy is it to have to confess such behavior to parents? To be faced with the moral and social consequences within our culture?

Because a person is human and gives in to human urges, you want her to face the consequences of Russian roulette?

That sounds a bit like letting a child who loses its ball in the middle of the freeway to allow the child to run into the freeway to retrieve the ball and face the consequences.

There are still consequences of reckless unprotected sex, potential STD, church discipline and social ostracizing. Isn't that enough?

IMHO, children should be conceived in homes of love where they are desired, not the result of a one night stand. The sink or swim mentality seems really harsh and reckless.

Now, this is more just addressing the issues meant to attack you. Apologies if it appears to come off that way.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:13 PM   #56
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Taking a pass on ethical thinking is not the same thing as wisdom. Sorry BG.
wisdom is being able to realize and concede that it is easier to comment on a matter theoretically on an anonymous message board, than it is to actually have to make such a critical personal or family decision during a difficult time.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:13 PM   #57
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Well, the church teaches that parents should STRONGLY counsel daughters to give up the child for adoption, to LDS Social Services.

And that if parents do not, they are sinning.
Surely your last sentence is a classic Waters trolling line.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:13 PM   #58
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
How easy is it to have to confess such behavior to parents? To be faced with the moral and social consequences within our culture?

Because a person is human and gives in to human urges, you want her to face the consequences of Russian roulette?

That sounds a bit like letting a child who loses its ball in the middle of the freeway to allow the child to run into the freeway to retrieve the ball and face the consequences.

There are still consequences of reckless unprotected sex, potential STD, church discipline and social ostracizing. Isn't that enough?

IMHO, children should be conceived in homes of love where they are desired, not the result of a one night stand. The sink or swim mentality seems really harsh and reckless.

Now, this is more just addressing the issues meant to attack you. Apologies if it appears to come off that way.
Exact same argument that NARAL makes by the way.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:16 PM   #59
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
wisdom is being able to realize and concede that it is easier to comment on a matter theoretically on an anonymous message board, than it is to actually have to make such a critical personal or family decision during a difficult time.
I'm saying he chooses to offer no thinking or reasoning on the issue.

Maybe you throw out your thinking when the situation comes up, but to take a complete pass? Come on!

Surely we would be less impressed if Creek couldn't come up with anything on the sale of organs, or the ethics of the sex trade, or whether the one-child policy in China is moral.

If you can't make up your mind, fine. But you should be able to explain, in terms of the ethics, the pros and cons, and why you can't make up your mind.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:16 PM   #60
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
First, let me say that I'm impressed that Levin's niece has the kind of relationship with her parents where she would tell them the next day that she got drunk and had unprotected sex. There is no way in hell I would have ever divulged such information to my parents.

Second, in my opinion a fertilized egg is not a baby. For you science types, how common is it for an egg to get fertilized and then not implant (without any artifical intervention)? The woman wouldn't even know this occurred as she would then just have her period as normal. I imagine for some women, it happens regularly.

That said, I still don't know if I would encourage my daughter to run out and get the MAP. Rape, no question, but for consensual sex the "easy out" for wreckless behavior seems wrong.
So the question here in having an abortion or not comes down to accepting responsibility, not whether a life is being taken? Your response is as close as it comes to probably what the churches real stance is.

No one yet has provided anything definitive as to why the church is anti-abortion.