cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2007, 04:54 AM   #1
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road
Default "Gay" and "Retarded"

Just a question for those of you that live outside of Utah. Do people where you live use the words "gay" and "retarded" like they do here? Utahns don't seem to know the difference between lame, dumb, stupid, silly as opposed to gay and retarded. Personally, I think it's gay that people are so retarded.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 05:38 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
Just a question for those of you that live outside of Utah. Do people where you live use the words "gay" and "retarded" like they do here? Utahns don't seem to know the difference between lame, dumb, stupid, silly as opposed to gay and retarded. Personally, I think it's gay that people are so retarded.
I believe it a youngster thing around most of the country, including here in Utah.

But then, I'm neither gay or retarded.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:22 PM   #3
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Retarded yes, gay no. In fact those who use "gay" usually get criticized with something along the lines of, "what are we, in seventh grade?"
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:35 PM   #4
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

That's interesting that in San Diego they're enlightened enough not to use "gay" but still use "retarded." Hm. I wonder why.

Both terms are used all the time here in Oklahoma. By kids and adults alike. But we're not exactly the center of the politically-correct world.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:40 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Retarded yes, gay no. In fact those who use "gay" usually get criticized with something along the lines of, "what are we, in seventh grade?"
My seventh grader does use both terms, sometimes in the same sentence toward the same person.

It usually goes like this,

Aaron, "Thor, stop being gay, you dumb retard."

Thor, "I am not retard and I like girls and you don't." (eight year old)

Usually, thereafter it degenerates from there into a fistfight.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:41 PM   #6
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

I hear kids call someone gay all of the time here in San Diego. I don't hear adults do it too often.

Personally, I have developed the bad habit of saying that someone who looks ridiculous "looks like a homo.(which my macabre sense of humor finds hilarious)" I have tried to drop this except among select company, but it has slipped out a few times. Like the time I looked in the mirror and saw that I was having a bad hair day and I yelled "why didn't anyone tell me that my hair made me look like a homo?" with my cousin, who really is a homo standing right there. I turned red, but she thought it was hysterically funny, and she has called me "homo hair" ever since. She is cool like that.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 05:47 PM   #7
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Because we're all confessing:

I don't use the term "gay" any more as a synonym for "lame" but I did use that all the time in high school. I tend to use the word "moron", as in "you stupid moron!" rather than the term "retard" but not because I'm worried about offending anyone's sensitivities - "moron" just comes out more naturally than "retard".

At one place I worked, the term "fagged together" was used to describe something that was hastily thrown together - a duct tape and bailing wire type of solution. That eventually morphed into something having a "faggy" design or architecture. I try not to use these terms now; however, they occasionally slip out when heatedly debating the merits of some technical design with my colleagues.

I do use the term "riced out" to describe cars from Asian manufacturers that are, you know, riced out. I also use the term "weezer" to describe things that are sterotypically Chinese/Taiwanese ("weezer" is a derivation from the word "Taiwanese"). That was a popular underground term (outlawed by the Mission President) in the Taiwan missions back in my day.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:42 PM   #8
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Personally I think it's gay and retarded if someone CHOOSES to be offended when someone uses these words.

For example...I just got a 3 day suspension on Cooterboard by Jefe for using the word "gay" in a "derogatory" tone.

That's massively gay.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:16 PM   #9
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Personally I think it's gay and retarded if someone CHOOSES to be offended when someone uses these words.

For example...I just got a 3 day suspension on Cooterboard by Jefe for using the word "gay" in a "derogatory" tone.

That's massively gay.
I just got 3 days for calling crimedog a douche bag, however i am rethinking now that gay and retard would have better fit his comments.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:08 PM   #10
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Gay, retarded, and douche, while once funny insults, are now passé. I like to call people turkeys. Although a little rough, it's an insult that cuts to the core.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote