cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2008, 08:20 PM   #1
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sports and convential wisdom

http://www.utefans.net/message.php?id=591200

The thread above got me thinking about how teams would be better if they bucked convential wisdom...

The most obvious to me is going for it on 4th down when in opposing territory where its a little to long for a FG. IMO anythiong 4th and 5 and below in this situation is an automatic go for the first.

This is the 50 - 37 yard line. on your own 40 - 50 I think it makes sense most of the time to go for it 4 and 3 and below... TMQ on espn.com always writes about this...

Another one is late in the game (last 2 minutes or so) and you are pinned in your own endzone and you are up by more than two. Instead of punting where they are sure to get the ball on your side of the 50 why not take a safety and get a free kick from the 20?

what are you ideas?
Old 03-31-2008, 08:24 PM   #2
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

TMQ constantly harps on the "NFL coaches punt too much" point.

He's even cited theoretical studies that show if a team never punts, it's better off in the long run, points-wise.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:47 AM   #3
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
TMQ constantly harps on the "NFL coaches punt too much" point.

He's even cited theoretical studies that show if a team never punts, it's better off in the long run, points-wise.
I think a Stanford economics professor did the study to which you refer about not punting. I also think Bill Walsh said that the next great innovation in football will be a coach who doesn't punt.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:57 AM   #4
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I think a Stanford economics professor did the study to which you refer about not punting. I also think Bill Walsh said that the next great innovation in football will be a coach who doesn't punt.
I remember seeing an ESPN feature a while back about a high school (in Alabama maybe?) that hasn't punted in two years. They've made the state tournament both years. Whether that has anything to do with not punting, or just having good players, I don't know.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote