cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Did we go after Tyler Newbold?

He would have been a nice addition to this team. It kind of surprises me that a kid who went to HS in Payson and whose dad does the PA for BYU football went to USU.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:05 PM   #2
CJF

CJF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
He would have been a nice addition to this team. It kind of surprises me that a kid who went to HS in Payson and whose dad does the PA for BYU football went to USU.
Not really. I interviewed him a couple of times for TBS. He never got a BYU offer.
CJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I know Tyler very well and I know his family. We did go after Tyler but we went after him late. The story is, Stew Morrill was on Tyler from his sophomore year, he was recruiting Tyler very hard and made him feel like a star. Steve Cleveland came in half way through his senior year and basically expected Tyler to sign with BYU, and this rubbed the Newbold family the wrong way. Tyler was a senior halfway through the year, having a very good year and Steve Cleveland said:

"Well we will look at your tape and decide whether to offer you or not."

This pissed the Newbolds off that it was that late in the recruiting process and BYU had not even looked at his tape yet.

He is a good player, unbelievably athletic and he is currently shooting over 50% from the three point line. Remember this kid is like Chris Miles he was home from his mission less than a month before the season started and two days after he got home, he finished second behind Jaycee Carroll in the mile run.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
CJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I know Tyler very well and I know his family. We did go after Tyler but we went after him late. The story is, Stew Morrill was on Tyler from his sophomore year, he was recruiting Tyler very hard and made him feel like a star. Steve Cleveland came in half way through his senior year and basically expected Tyler to sign with BYU, and this rubbed the Newbold family the wrong way. Tyler was a senior halfway through the year, having a very good year and Steve Cleveland said:

"Well we will look at your tape and decide whether to offer you or not."

This pissed the Newbolds off that it was that late in the recruiting process and BYU had not even looked at his tape yet.

He is a good player, unbelievably athletic and he is currently shooting over 50% from the three point line. Remember this kid is like Chris Miles he was home from his mission less than a month before the season started and two days after he got home, he finished second behind Jaycee Carroll in the mile run.
I think they only went after him late because he was playing well. They signed Jackson Emery that year. Tyler told me himself he only had three offers. Utah, which was pulled, Utah State and Wyoming. If I remember correctly BYU offered post mission though.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:17 PM   #5
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I know Tyler very well and I know his family.
His dad was my HS PE coach. He's still doing the PA isn't he? I haven't been to a home game in a few years.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:28 PM   #6
CJF

Quote:
His dad was my HS PE coach. He's still doing the PA isn't he? I haven't been to a home game in a few years.
His mom works or worked for BYU at the time he was being recruited. Sports Medicine if I remember correctly.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:25 PM   #7
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
His dad is a counselor at Lehi High School and he is still the announcer at home football games.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:38 AM   #8
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
wonder how the cougs would do with newbold and tai wesley on the roster

-- Ken Loach
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote