cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2006, 05:20 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Great article on Bronco

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,645196698,00.html

Harmon lists a number of changes Bronco has made. My perception of Bronco when he became head coach was that he was egocentric and stubborn, and generally not impressed with his resume. My attitude about Bronco is really changing.

"Mendenhall tweaked his 3-3-5 defense to a 3-4 front to take advantage of personnel."

Very impressed with this. I hope we move to a 4-3 next year but I'll take the step in the right direction.

"He shifted press box duties within weeks of last year's opener against Boston College to increase communication."

Good

"He redesigned his 3-3-5 in midstream last season, a key in winning five games and finishing second in the MWC."

I don't remember this. And I don't remember our defense winning us very many games, but oh well.

"He tweaked his player leadership council to make it more efficient and responsive."

Whatever. Don't really care, but his players seem to respond to this sort of stuff.

"He changed his off-season conditioning program to help prevent hamstring injuries after researching the issue with the Seattle Seahawks and other teams."

Very impressed with this.

"He sped up the evaluation calendar and has been offering scholarships earlier than ever before, reaping 23 commitments this year alone."

Don't know if I'm sold on this yet.

"He redesigned BYU's two-a-day practice schedule to balance the volume of hitting and reps with a hope of decreasing injuries."

This seems wise but I'm somewhat concerned our D is going to have tackling problems since they never tackle in scrimmage. But I'm OK with it. This goes against the perception I had about Bronco that working harder was always more important than being smart.

One more change I'd throw out: worked with Anae and offensive coaching staff to hammer out a BYU offense that relied more on two backs and running the ball compared to the TT offense and the one that was practiced during the offseason and in the BC game.

All in all, I'm very impressed with Bronco's adapatability. All I saw in his pre-head coaching days was administering Rocky Long's 3-3-5 and an attitude that fit a schools where he's coached: Oregon State, La Tech, UNM but not BYU. His first two years at BYU were like trying to pound a square peg into a round hole.

I'm changing the way I think about Bronco.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:56 PM   #2
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Our defense never tackles in games anyway.....

I think the overall improved speed on defense helps change this and will have the guys in position to make plays.

During the CAL it was embarrassing to see how many times our guys were out of position, and then with their running in quicksand speed to compound the problem.