cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 01:10 PM   #11
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
When we've been there ten thousand years, bright shining as the sun
We've no less days to sing His praise, than when we'd first begun
BatGirl, I thought you'd reply.

My view is that I will enjoy adoring my God while He enjoys sharing His power and majesty to see me reach my full potential; that is, inheriting all that He has. Given all the options out there, I honestly see nothing that makes more sense, is more appealing, and gives greater meaning to my existence here on earth.

Frankly, doesn't an eternity of praising God seem a bit boring? Or will the food and entertainment be so great that we won't care?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:22 PM   #12
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
BatGirl, I thought you'd reply.

My view is that I will enjoy adoring my God while He enjoys sharing His power and majesty to see me reach my full potential; that is, inheriting all that He has. Given all the options out there, I honestly see nothing that makes more sense, is more appealing, and gives greater meaning to my existence here on earth.

Frankly, doesn't an eternity of praising God seem a bit boring? Or will the food and entertainment be so great that we won't care?
totally boring. The theory is, though, that the notion is boring because our faith is immature, and we are burdened with our worldly priorities. When we see God in all His glory (see Isaiah), our only notion will be to fall to the ground and worship him for the ages.

And, yes our notion of God is of a terribly narcissistic one: He creates man in His image so that we might adore Him for all eternity. If we refuse to worship Him, we are thrown into the lake of fire.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:30 PM   #13
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
totally boring. The theory is, though, that the notion is boring because our faith is immature, and we are burdened with our worldly priorities. When we see God in all His glory (see Isaiah), our only notion will be to fall to the ground and worship him for the ages.

And, yes our notion of God is of a terribly narcissistic one: He creates man in His image so that we might adore Him for all eternity. If we refuse to worship Him, we are thrown into the lake of fire.
Now this is refreshing.

Let me concede that perhaps I am so self centered and immature that I probably need more motivation for the eternities. Sadly, if you are correct, I suspect I'll be eternally tempted to break from worshiping and peak through the back curtain to see how SU is enjoying his time in hell.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:14 PM   #14
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Sadly, if you are correct, I suspect I'll be eternally tempted to break from worshiping and peak through the back curtain to see how SU is enjoying his time in hell.
If the evangelicals are correct, we'll all be hanging out with SU in hell.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:24 PM   #15
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

My brain is probably too small for this discussion, but I'm just simple enough to believe that we have no conception whatsoever, Mormon or otherwise, of what the afterlife will consist of.

My biggest problem with discussions of the afterlife is that they are discussed in such absolutist terms. We have the evangelicals on the one hand, insisting that we'll do nothing but lay prostate and sing hymns of glory, and on the other hand, we have Mormons exchanging phone numbers so they can visit each others' "worlds."

I once had an evangelical tell me that Jesus couldn't possibly have visited Joseph Smith because the scriptures say he ascended to the right hand of God. "If he's on the right-hand of God, how could he visit your so-called prophet?" (Of course, I told him God went with him. )

Maybe we ought to not worry so much about "getting to the Celestial kingdom" and a little bit more about becoming Celestial people.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:25 PM   #16
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Which I am sure will only serve to enhance his experience.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:34 PM   #17
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Maybe we ought to not worry so much about "getting to the Celestial kingdom" and a little bit more about becoming Celestial people.
Thank you, Tex. Having already chosen all the options for my "mansion on high" (I went with marble countertops and hardwood throughout), I had no idea what I was going to do with the rest of my day.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:02 PM   #18
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
No offense, Y, but there have to be more exciting ways to get into hell.

I personally think fundamentalists have an embarrasingly narrow view of God and the Gospel. Ironic that Aaron advertises his ministry as one with a "Bigger God."

Quote:
Which I am sure will only serve to enhance his experience.
That's funny!
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:08 PM   #19
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
My brain is probably too small for this discussion, but I'm just simple enough to believe that we have no conception whatsoever, Mormon or otherwise, of what the afterlife will consist of.
You are correct on both counts.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:11 PM   #20
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

First, Jasmine is hotter than all of them. Did you notice the cute sports bra she sports?

Second, how hot do you like your brimstone? If praising God for eternity is eternity, then I suppose we Mormons will have a gay ole time playing with fire and brimstone. At least, we won't have to sing the same hymn time after time.