cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2008, 03:10 AM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Realclearpolitics is interesting.

I like it because it assembles so many polls in one easy to find place.

I am a bit confused, though, as to why the RCP average (which is just an average of certain polls- I don't even know how they pick the polls to average) is taken so seriously.

There is no statistical reason why the average of all of the polls should be more accurate than any individual poll. So what gives?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:14 AM   #2
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Why would you be so cruel in bursting myboynoah's balloon? You know how much he loves RCP average. What's next? Making fun of InTrade?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:18 AM   #3
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Why would you be so cruel in bursting myboynoah's balloon? You know how much he loves RCP average. What's next? Making fun of InTrade?
I already did that too...
Old 01-25-2008, 03:25 AM   #4
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I like it because it assembles so many polls in one easy to find place.

I am a bit confused, though, as to why the RCP average (which is just an average of certain polls- I don't even know how they pick the polls to average) is taken so seriously.

There is no statistical reason why the average of all of the polls should be more accurate than any individual poll. So what gives?
Sure there's a statistical reason an average of polls is more accurate than an individual poll.

Same concept of a mutual fund reduces risk compared to buying one stock.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:27 AM   #5
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Oh, so what is this, an intervention? I'm not going anywhere. I don't have a problem. It is you who has the problem.

The only importance I've placed on the RCP average is that for some inexplicable reason some news services place importance upon it. I agree with Cali, very odd. Nonetheless, RealClearPolitics is a very intriguing website.

Had you gotten behind Romney early on Intrade, you'd be a rich man now. Sadly, that ship has sailed.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:10 AM   #6
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Oh, so what is this, an intervention?
Sounds more like an imposition.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:32 AM   #7
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Sure there's a statistical reason an average of polls is more accurate than an individual poll.

Same concept of a mutual fund reduces risk compared to buying one stock.
Come on, Jay. You know better than that. What is the margin of error of the polls being combined? Is it the same in each? If not, how do you weight one over the other? Can you be certain each used the same methodology? Do you have any idea if the polls are at all comparable?

In a mutual fund, you are hedging against the chance that one stock fails by diversifying the portfolio. In other words, you are going to get some crap stocks and some good stocks (you hope, though that isn't guaranteed either). Why would you expect a combination of polls to be more "accurate?" It may hedge against bad polls, and it may include some good polls. Or they could all be crap, or they could all be good, and averaging them could dilute the influence of the "right" poll.

Last edited by Cali Coug; 01-25-2008 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:03 PM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Come on, Jay. You know better than that. What is the margin of error of the polls being combined? Is it the same in each? If not, how do you weight one over the other? Can you be certain each used the same methodology? Do you have any idea if the polls are at all comparable?

In a mutual fund, you are hedging against the chance that one stock fails by diversifying the portfolio. In other words, you are going to get some crap stocks and some good stocks (you hope, though that isn't guaranteed either). Why would you expect a combination of polls to be more "accurate?" It may hedge against bad polls, and it may include some good polls. Or they could all be crap, or they could all be good, and averaging them could dilute the influence of the "right" poll.
You are correct that a more accurate approach would involve some sort of weighting factors when the polls are combined. But one of the factors leading to a margin of error is the sample size. By pooling the polls the same size increases. Common sense would argue that the combined polls are likely more accurate than the individual polls.

And I have seen research indicating that the average of independent predictions are more accurate than individual predictions. These were predictions made by computer models, not polls.

And scientific arguments aside, I think there is value in seeing a summary of all of the polls in one spot.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

If you knew which one was right, you wouldn't have to have an average, but you don't. Just like if you knew which stock was "right", you wouldn't need to dilute it by averaging it with other stocks in a mutual fund.

If the polls have reasonably similar methodology and all have reasonably credibility when it comes to accuracy (I don't know if they do but assume they do), then averaging them gives a better chance for accuracy than any one poll by itself.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:34 PM   #10
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
If you knew which one was right, you wouldn't have to have an average, but you don't. Just like if you knew which stock was "right", you wouldn't need to dilute it by averaging it with other stocks in a mutual fund.

If the polls have reasonably similar methodology and all have reasonably credibility when it comes to accuracy (I don't know if they do but assume they do), then averaging them gives a better chance for accuracy than any one poll by itself.
They don't all have comparable credibility, and they don't all use the same methodology. And there are surveys done to identify which pollsters tend to get it right more than the others (Rasmussen is nearly always hovering around the top, for example).