cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2008, 08:35 PM   #21
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
In 1998 when I was living in Missouri, there was a proposed amendment to the Missouri constitution to expand riverboat gambling to artificial "lakes" (so-called boats-in-moats). The Church told members to campaign and vote against it.

However, I don't think the campaign against this amendment was nearly as vigorous as against Prop 8 and I think the amendment passed easily.
Is that because of the Church or because the issue of gay marriage is far more emotional and mobilizing to mormons than riverboard gambling in lakes?

I just think to many mormons the issue turned many into a powderkeg from the get go, once the Brethren threw in the match with the indicators of the Godhead's support of their cause and they just went to town.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:37 PM   #22
Bruincoug

Bruincoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I thought it was a mistake, but I was impressed they won what appeared to be an unwinnable fight.
that was my reaction, on both accounts. with days to go, the polls looked bleak for prop 8. i thought it was a huge investment in a losing cause -- in end, the cause won. and i'm not too worried about the legal ramifications. now there's plenty of ill will to go-round, even within the church.
Bruincoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:43 PM   #23
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
DUDE, I went to that conference too! In fact I just found some abstract ticket in my house for the event. What I vividly remember was eating food inbetween the sessions and during the last hour of the second sesssion asking my mom why we couldn't leave like everyone else. She responded "we endure to the end."

I do not recall a single protestor.
goat, speaking of this, do you remember going to the Dance Festival at the Rose Bowl? I had no idea about the political conference you guys are talking about, but I remember going to the dance festival with my friends. I was not a member, but my friends invited me. Dont recall the year, but it was around the same time.

The T.O. stake did the polka and the tarantella. Lots of hot mormon chicks wearing leiderhosen.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:50 PM   #24
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
goat, speaking of this, do you remember going to the Dance Festival at the Rose Bowl? I had no idea about the political conference you guys are talking about, but I remember going to the dance festival with my friends. I was not a member, but my friends invited me. Dont recall the year, but it was around the same time.

The T.O. stake did the polka and the tarantella. Lots of hot mormon chicks wearing leiderhosen.
I did not participate the year you speak, but I went to watch the event. I believe I was not yet 14, or turned 14 shortly before the event, and thus was not yet old enough to be told by some sweet sister "no parkin' baby...no parkin' on the dance floor!"

Indeed, it was colorful and spectacular. I cannot recall what type of dance the Simi Valley Stake of Zion performed, but I got no doubt Warren Sapp could have done it better!
Old 11-10-2008, 08:56 PM   #25
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I did not participate the year you speak, but I went to watch the event. I believe I was not yet 14, or turned 14 shortly before the event, and thus was not yet old enough to be told by some sweet sister "no parkin' baby...no parkin' on the dance floor!"

Indeed, it was colorful and spectacular. I cannot recall what type of dance the Simi Valley Stake of Zion performed, but I got no doubt Warren Sapp could have done it better!
I googled quickly, but this guy's account really makes me laugh. I totally remember that first number...everyone running out of the tunnel. And the Gordon Jump narration, which at the time was a huge deal given his WKRP fame.

That was a sweet day.

http://www.stallioncornell.com/2008/...-memories.html

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:56 PM   #26
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

I attended that dance festival and participated. Very vague on the details, but I remember being there and the ridiculous outfit I wore.

We F'ing rocked those Mormon people.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote