cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2008, 03:25 AM   #1
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road
Default Best live CD / Concert video?

IlPad's thread on the Talking Heads got me thinking, what's the best live album/video out there? For me, it's no question: Pink Floyd's Delicate Sound of Thunder. I'm not big on live albums, mostly because too many bands sound like crap live, but these guys are fantastic. What's your favorite?

A couple of good ones:

Old 06-17-2008, 03:47 AM   #2
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I tend to stay away from live albums, but two of them I liked back in the day were Depeche Mode 101 and World Wide Live by Scorpions. I know they're not artsy fartsy enough for some around here, but there you go.

Lately, I have been listening to Foiled for the Last Time by Blue October. I love that band.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:09 AM   #3
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
I tend to stay away from live albums, but two of them I liked back in the day were Depeche Mode 101 and World Wide Live by Scorpions. I know they're not artsy fartsy enough for some around here, but there you go.

Lately, I have been listening to Foiled for the Last Time by Blue October. I love that band.
I was at the 101 show at the Rose Bowl. 5th row. If you watch the DVD in slow motion, there is one split second where you can see our group. I should go back and see which frame. That would be cool to download as a vidcap.

Another group of friends from T.O. fared much better. You can see them very well and they are also featured in some of the liner art work. They are holding up the black/white drawing of Dave, Alan, Andy, and Martin.

Live albums mostly suck, by the way.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:14 AM   #4
Runner Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I was at the 101 show at the Rose Bowl.
You are like our own little Forrest Gump. Name an event, 3D was there.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:54 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with Depeche Mode 101. It's a great one.

I think Uncle Ted's Double Live Gonzo is a fun album.

I was at the Alphaville show when it was recorded for DVD in '99. Great fun, but not the best concert film. I just couldn't let DDD have all the fun.

And yes, I was in Sun Devil Stadium for Rattle and Hum, but you can't see me.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:11 AM   #6
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Agree with Depeche Mode 101. It's a great one.

I think Uncle Ted's Double Live Gonzo is a fun album.

I was at the Alphaville show when it was recorded for DVD in '99. Great fun, but not the best concert film. I just couldn't let DDD have all the fun.

And yes, I was in Sun Devil Stadium for Rattle and Hum, but you can't see me.
Dude, IPU, I was at the Alphaville shows. That was in July of 1999. I went to 2 nights!

Did you know that SLC was their only North American shows? Awesome.

There was this cd store in provo called "a different drum" that sold their dreamscapes CD collection for the longest time, although I dont even know if that store is still there.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Dude, IPU, I was at the Alphaville shows. That was in July of 1999. I went to 2 nights!

There was this cd store in provo called "a different drum" that sold their dreamscapes CD collection for the longest time, although I dont even know if that store is still there.
We were at the same show, but I only went to one. Cool.

Yes, I know it's the only N. American show by Alphaville. My unerstanding is that the folks from A Different Drum promoted the show and were able to get Alphaville to SLC because there had been a huge number of Alphaville record sales during the early to mid-80s here and the band wanted to thank its fans, so a show would be a good way to do it.

Switching gears, I can tell I was having an off night, as I failed to mention Oingo Boingo's Farewell DVD/CD. It's awesome.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:21 PM   #8
Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout is on a distinguished road

Gotta throw in Cheap Trick's "Live at Budokan".

Speaking of Oingo Boingo, I saw them 3 times in 18 months in SLC back in the day. Fantastic shows.
Kilgore Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:07 PM   #9
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post

No shame in liking the Scorps, brother.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:12 PM   #10
Runner Coug

Quote:

I went to the 2nd Alphaville show. It was a bit sad that they played at the fairgrounds. Good show though. That was the first time I had ever heard Brave New World play and became a fan.
Alphaville actually had another gig scheduled with OMD in South Jordan a couple of years later but it fell apart. I remember it because I had to do battle with the promoter to get my money back.
I don't know if ADD still has their store but I think their web site is still going.