cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default In what countries or occasions have there been transitions from

a hostile, sectarian violence riddled situations to peaceful, and relatively successful societies.

What factors guaranteed success?
Old 12-28-2007, 06:19 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
a hostile, sectarian violence riddled situations to peaceful, and relatively successful societies.

tribal warfare probably makes up most of human history.

when has there ever been peace?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:40 PM   #3
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Two places: Xanadu and orderville.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:48 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
tribal warfare probably makes up most of human history.

There have always been conflicts but the constant, insane assassinations seem extreme.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:00 PM   #5
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Two places: Xanadu and orderville.
I had a mission companion from Orderville. He opened my eyes to a level of hickdom that I thought only existed in Mississippi. In addition to the thick accent, his pastimes growing up were apparently rolling old washing machines down big hills and shooting varmints.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

The answer has that it has happened many, many times in history. Just not in a way that our modern sensibilities would like.

There is no independent Wales or Flanders or Basque Country or Confederate States of America. At one time these places had independent existences until a larger more powerful neighbor forcefully subjugated them, and in the most successful cases, assimilated them. This is the reason that I think peace keeping missions are a fool's errand.

We can stay in South Korea until the end of time and as soon as we go, there will be an attempt to reunite it.

So my answer to your question is, where there is sectarian violence it doesn't make sense for us to be impartial. If we are being completely pragmatic, the way you get peace is by allowing there to be a civil war and backing the winner. This is why I have thought (probably naively) that we ought to remove ourselves to Kurdistan (which really ought to be its own country) and Kuwait, and then let the rest of Iraq fight until there is a winner.

As much as we hate war, it results in more stability that smoldering hostilities that last forever. The Arabs and Persians understand this. It is the reason their objective is to eradicate Israel rather than live peacefully. They understand that peaceful coexistence is unlikely.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:44 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
I had a mission companion from Orderville. He opened my eyes to a level of hickdom that I thought only existed in Mississippi. In addition to the thick accent, his pastimes growing up were apparently rolling old washing machines down big hills and shooting varmints.
Orderville is one of my favorite places in the state of Utah. I love it down there.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:53 PM   #8
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Shooting varmints can be quite satisfying.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:38 AM   #9
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
The answer has that it has happened many, many times in history. Just not in a way that our modern sensibilities would like.

There is no independent Wales or Flanders or Basque Country or Confederate States of America. At one time these places had independent existences until a larger more powerful neighbor forcefully subjugated them, and in the most successful cases, assimilated them. This is the reason that I think peace keeping missions are a fool's errand.

We can stay in South Korea until the end of time and as soon as we go, there will be an attempt to reunite it.

So my answer to your question is, where there is sectarian violence it doesn't make sense for us to be impartial. If we are being completely pragmatic, the way you get peace is by allowing there to be a civil war and backing the winner. This is why I have thought (probably naively) that we ought to remove ourselves to Kurdistan (which really ought to be its own country) and Kuwait, and then let the rest of Iraq fight until there is a winner.

As much as we hate war, it results in more stability that smoldering hostilities that last forever. The Arabs and Persians understand this. It is the reason their objective is to eradicate Israel rather than live peacefully. They understand that peaceful coexistence is unlikely.
You bring up an excellent, though unsavory, point. It could be argued that one of the main reasons the U.S. is such a strong, peaceful, stable, country is because we completely dominated, destroyed, subjugated, etc. those who stood in our way. The treatment of native Americans, the Civil War, and the Mexican-American war are a few examples that come to mind.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:16 AM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
This is exactly what a friend of mine (who is a naturalized citizen from Saudi Arabia) believes. He thinks the US ought to pull it's military out of Iraq and into Kuwait and watch what happens and that when one side has won, the US should immediately show strong support for the winner.

He also believes the US should let all involved in civil war know that if either side tries to do any damage outside the borders of Iraq to anyone other than who is fighting Iraq's civil war, that the US will send them all to hell and claim Iraq for itself.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote