cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2008, 04:44 PM   #11
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
So you are trying ot tell me that after she was elected she handed out jobs to (gasp!) supporters and friends? I see their point. That's pretty shocking behavior for a politician,.

Whoa! I read that post really quick and the words "she", "hand", "job" and "gasp" were all very close together. I was thinking it was shocking behavior. I need to get some glasses.

Last edited by Flystripper; 09-15-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #12
Coonass

Coonass is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I'm awaiting the response of all you Palin apologists on this one. I'm talking to you myboynoah and creekster.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/14/us...nt&oref=slogin
Wow she fired people that were dead wood..........er, lifetime government employees. Where do we get some more of that?
Coonass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:03 PM   #13
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I'm awaiting the response of all you Palin apologists on this one. I'm talking to you myboynoah and creekster.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/14/us...nt&oref=slogin
I read this and you beat me to linking it. Considering this is the NY Times' best shot, after spending formidable resources combing her background and indulging every sniping disgruntled person she's every known, not to mention supposed friends who are perhaps more capable than enemies of burying her even if inadvertantly, this seems to be a whole lot of chicken shit nickle and dime stuff.

For example, apparently she sent one email on political activities while working as ombudsman to the oil companies. When called on it by a reporter she said, "You're right, I was wrong to do that." According to the article, instead of being honest about a picayune transgression, whe was "shrewdly political" (I'm paraphrasing) in making the admission. Of course, the article could have described it the other way.

Apparently there's some innuendo about her asking a librarian what if she asked her to take some books of the shelf. Nothing in writing, and everyone seems to admit Palin never took books off the shelf.

She's being accused of trying to get her ex brother in law fired as a policeman because he was in a custody battle with her sister. But he tazered his step son, poached two moose,
and multiple witnesses twice saw him drinking on the job. Should such a person be a cop?

The New York Times wrote a ten page article about virtually nothing of real interest. A big swing and a miss. There's nothing there that ultimately matters. Same with CNN's Palin Revealed "expose." I guess they feel they needed to do this just to make sure she's not unfit to be Vice President.

I'm not surprised she can be and has been a tough, ruthless bitch. Thank God, since she might be president. I'm not surprised she used her church as a political base. Good politicians have an instinct for that kind of stuff.

This is more pathetic than the trivial accusations against Clarence Thomas. Fortunately the country seems to be more savvy and discerning these days. I tell you one thing, it's clear there sure are a lot of losers in Alaska.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 09-15-2008 at 08:07 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:13 PM   #14
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Apparently there's some innuendo about her asking a librarian what if she asked her to take some books of the shelf. Nothing in writing, and everyone seems to admit Palin never took books off the shelf.
Help me out with the librarian thing. Yes, no books were pulled, but she did try to fire the librarian shortly after the conversation. She says it was because the librarian wasn't being a team player. Can you explain to me how the town librarian plays such a vital role in city politics that a firing would be warranted? Other than for refusing to ban books, that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I'm not surprised she used her church as a political base. Good politicians have an instinct for that kind of stuff.
Can you spell "IRONY"?
Old 09-15-2008, 08:21 PM   #15
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Help me out with the librarian thing. Yes, no books were pulled, but she did try to fire the librarian shortly after the conversation. She says it was because the librarian wasn't being a team player. Can you explain to me how the town librarian plays such a vital role in city politics that a firing would be warranted? Other than for refusing to ban books, that is.

Can you spell "IRONY"?
The picture of the librarian (I laugh out loud every time I see it, sorry), coupled with the fact that she's talked to no one about this, says it all. Trust me. Alaska has more than its share of freaks and weirdos. I'm not going to accept this third hand hearsay as true, especially given the obvious bias of the reporting. The headline tells the tale of what they were trying to establish.

Even it it's absolutely true, it was twelve years ago in Wassila. At 32 Lincoln was a slavery apologist.

Except for this little urban legend about the freaky librarian standing up to Mayor Palin's attempted book burning I see no evidence her religious affiliations have affected her policy or law making.

What's most interesting about this article is how little they could come up with.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-15-2008, 08:26 PM   #16
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Can you spell "IRONY"?
Did they remove the books in question after firing the librarian? If not, why not?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:29 PM   #17
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Can you spell "IRONY"?
He got you SU, he really got you.

That said, it really is painful to watch a highly esteemed publication stoop to reporting on high schoolesque alledged government malfeasance in Alaskan political circles. With all the oil money swirling around up there, you'd think she would have dipped into the till at least once. Instead we hear that she hired people she knew, tried to fire some she didn't care for, counseled with her spouse, and "put a premium on loyalty and secrecy."

There is really no defense for this.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:41 PM   #18
SeattleUte

Notice the factoid about her current 80% approval rating is buried in the middle of the article. I wonder how many people they could have interviewed who praised her. Honestly, until this I never heard anyone from Alaska say anything but positive about her. And historically Alaskans grow to hate their governors very quickly. They almost never win reelection.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 09-15-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:46 PM   #19
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I agree it's reassuring that this is the best they could come up with. Palin appears to be an exceptionally clean politician, as politicians go.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:47 PM   #20
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

I sure hope Alan Coombs, the NYT and the democratic pary come up with something stronger or they are doomed.

She didn't know the Bush doctrine? George Will admitted he couldn't have answered Charlies's question. Why, he said just like Sarah indicated there are actually several Bush doctrines. Some friends or family benefited from her political success. I am shocked, sincerely shocked.

I think the Obama campaign is doing the smart thing. They are going back to attacking McCain. I think the press would serve their interests better if they did the same.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote