cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 03:13 PM   #1
Judge Smails

Judge Smails is on a distinguished road
Default Just reread Elder Bednar's talk..

...sweet and powerful doctrine.

I have a bit of a "I've heard it all" mentality when it comes to basic doctrines like repentance and the atonement, but I had a great experience listening to and now reading this talk.

Too often I spend my life trying to overcome sin through repentance, but I fail to recognize as Elder Bednar taught, that overcoming sin (clean hands) isn't the only blessing of the atonement - but the ability to change our desires and abhor sin (pure heart). I think that's where pure joy comes from as we no longer face the inner struggle to put off the natural man, but it's certainly difficult getting to that point some times.

I found it interesting that he said it's possible to have clean hands, but not a pure heart. It helps with my eternal progression - I'm not just trying to abstain from sin, but to become like my Heavenly Father. I found this to be a powerful message stated in a way I've either never heard, or wasn't previously prepared to receive.

I'll get a little practice mixing this and President Hinckley's priesthood talk on the golf course today.

Just thought I'd share a little inspiration I received from an Apostle of the Lord.

<insert testimony here>