cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2008, 09:46 PM   #41
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Do you deny that for some non-zero population of people that homosexuality truly can be a choice, or at the very least be the byproduct of a household or society where traditional social mores no longer serve as a guide?
I don't have a time for a long answer to this, but basically, I do not believe my that having a gay brother-in-law, next door neighbor, family friend, or dog, will influence my son in his sexuality.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:47 PM   #42
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I'm not asking for speculation or windbaggery. You have the burden of proof here. Despite the enormous efforts of people like you not a shred of evidence has been discovered to support what you're saying.
He has made claims, but has given little in the way of evidence or reason.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:48 PM   #43
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
My brother in law (whom I have known since he was 8 years old and is now 24) also went to extensive LDS counseling to try and "cure" his homosexuality. He remains "uncured".
Are they sure they cranked up the juice high enough?

Må din pung bli överkörd av femhundra siamesiska elefantbögar samtidigt som du får en ananas uppkörd långt upp i rektum - Most common thing said to LiveCoug on his mission.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:52 PM   #44
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
1. I may be wrong, but I believe studies indicate that boys raised with two gay men as parents are not more likely to be gay.

2. I know my brother desperately did not want to be gay. He even went through counseling with Bishops and such in hopes of reversing it.

Whether my brother has a married male spouse versus a male live-in long-term partner will probably not be a factor in whether any of my kids become gay. I think what Levin is trying to say is that any possible knowledge or reference to a relative regarding his gayness should be avoided, up to and and including completely disowning that relative and not allowing ones kids to know of his existence. Maybe I am reading it wrong.

Regardless, I choose not to live that way.
1. Boys who are raised with two gay men may not be attracted to other boys. Boys who are raised by two gay men who do have some same-sex attraction will be influenced by the sexuality of their fathers.

2. Your brother was born gay, and is obviously not one of those who could go either way.

3. Your reading of what I am saying is, unsurprisingly and completely in character, self-serving. My bisexual niece tends my kids; my gay cousin is beloved and I am very close to her. My best friend from law school is gay, and we have him over regularly.

You must still be a little insecure on the issue, as you're being overly sensitive.

I can cite no study, but others could: there are people who are born attracted to both sexes, and their choices greatly influence which attraction will be ascendant and which will be dormant/flare up only intermittently.

Your brother's gay marriage will influence your son's choices if he is attracted, even nominally, to other boys. I was influenced by my uncle's choice of profession, by my cousin's preference in sports, etc. Some things need no cite.

Your son will be affected by your brother's gay marriage. This is NOT a reason to do anything less than fully love and accept your brother. But you're fooling yourself if it won't affect your family.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12

Last edited by Levin; 08-13-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:53 PM   #45
Levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Despite the enormous efforts of people like you not a shred of evidence has been discovered to support what you're saying.
Untrue. More people around the globe, especially in Europe, are having sexual experiences with the same sex today than ever before. I'm not doing the legwork for you.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Old 08-13-2008, 09:56 PM   #46
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
1. Boys who are raised with two gay men may not be attracted to other boys. Boys who are raised by two gay men who do have some same-sex attraction will be influenced by the sexuality of their fathers.

2. Your brother was born gay, and is obviously not one of those who could go either way.

3. Your reading of what I am saying is, unsurprisingly and completely in character, self-serving. My bisexual niece tends my kids; my gay cousin is beloved and I am very close to her. My best friend from law school is gay, and we have him over regularly.

You must still be a little insecure on the issue, as you're being overly sensitive.

I can cite no study, but others could: there are people who are born attracted to both sexes, and their choices greatly influence which attraction will be ascendant and which will be dormant/flare up only intermittently.

Your brother's gay marriage will influence your son's choices if he is attracted, even nominally, to other boys. I was influenced by my uncle's choice of profession, by my cousin's preference in sports, etc. Some things need no cite.

Your son will be affected by your brother's gay marriage. This is NOT a reason to do anything less than fully love and accept your brother. But you're fooling yourself if it won't affect your family.
do you believe that your kids' exposure to your niece and your friend will make them more likely to be gay?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:57 PM   #47
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I hope my sons are affected by their uncle's same sex marriage. I hope that they see that gay couples can be viable and happy members of society with little to no negative stigma. I don't worry that their Uncle's gay marriage will turn them gay.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:58 PM   #48
Levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
do you believe that your kids' exposure to your niece and your friend will make them more likely to be gay?
If my son is physically attracted to other boys, yes.

1. If my son's attraction is total and complete, it won't matter.

2. If my son's attraction is somewhat weak and intermittent, it will matter.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:58 PM   #49
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
It would be far too narcissistic for me to continue in this thread. Cheers.
Bye, Tex.

It will be nice to read evasive responses from you in a future thread.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:07 PM   #50
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Untrue. More people around the globe, especially in Europe, are having sexual experiences with the same sex today than ever before. I'm not doing the legwork for you.
MORE PEOPLE THAN EVER BEFORE? Really? Your statement is not only wholly bald and unverifiable, it's meaningless. You're an idiot.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote