cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2010, 09:37 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tex Mess and Expansion

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot..._photo_content
Old 04-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

my prediction: BYU does not go to any major conference. I hope I am wrong.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:03 AM   #3
JJS

JJS is on a distinguished road

The Big 10 can go to hell. They have a lot of power right now, of course not on the football field. So what the next best thing? Lets restructure the entire landscape of college football so we no longer have to be only the 4th best conference. I hear talk of them going to 16 teams? If thats the case, I think BYU gets in one of the major conferences. The SEC would probably pillage the ACC. Only two major conferences left, the PAC-10 and the Big-XII. They would have to go to 16 teams to survive. There isn't a lot of other teams out there with media markets or facilities to compete, BYU would go. Now if the Big 10 expands by only one team, BYU will probably be shut out. If Colorado decides to stay put, then chances are the PAC-10 doesn't expand. If Colorado bolts, then they are replaced by TCU or more likely Houston (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/spor...-bcs-candidate).

If BYU doesn't get into a big conference, and TCU or Utah is gone from the MWC. BYU football program dwindles away.

I will laugh openly if Utah stays put though. A lot of them are already in a PAC-12 state of mind, likes its a foregone conclusion.
JJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:11 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Most likely scenario is something like BYU, Boise State, TCU in a MWC/WAC thing.

That's my best guess. I don't think there is anyway a major conference will be interested in TCU or Houston.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:13 AM   #5
JJS

I think most conferences want to keep the status quo. I don't know if the PAC-10 particularly wants it. I think it feels it has to. The Big-XII wants to keep it the same. The SEC definitely wants to keep it the same. The Big East would prefer survival over expansion. I can't help but feel contempt for the Big-10 over all of this. But, if Notre Dame would get a clue and join the Big-10 all should be well.

Last edited by JJS; 04-21-2010 at 05:34 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:56 PM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS View Post
I think most conferences want to keep the status quo. I don't know if the PAC-10 particularly wants it. I think it feels it has to. The Big-XII wants to keep it the same. The SEC definitely wants to keep it the same. The Big East would prefer survival over expansion. I can't help but feel contempt for the Big-10 over all of this. But, if Notre Dame would get a clue and join the Big-10 all should be well.
The keys to any puzzle are ND, Texas and maybe Mizzou.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:32 AM   #7
JJS

The more I hear talk about conferences expanding to 14 or 16 teams, the less I am worried that BYU will be left behind. If the Big-10 goes to 14 the other conferences will do the same. The SEC commissioner said the conference could very well grow if others do as well. But, there aren't a lot of candidates from the midwest on. BYU will either go to an expanded Big-12 or an expanded PAC-10 just because there aren't any other options. I would hate to see conferences get this bloated though.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS View Post
The more I hear talk about conferences expanding to 14 or 16 teams, the less I am worried that BYU will be left behind. If the Big-10 goes to 14 the other conferences will do the same. The SEC commissioner said the conference could very well grow if others do as well. But, there aren't a lot of candidates from the midwest on. BYU will either go to an expanded Big-12 or an expanded PAC-10 just because there aren't any other options. I would hate to see conferences get this bloated though.
I would welcome me being in error and you being correct, but I don't see the reason for it.

Expansion will be about increased dollars, and none of the isolated teams really increase dollars to conferences.

Texas, ND and I suppose Mizzou increase dollars by proximity and loyalty of large metro areas as well as size of fan following.

BYU and Utah have too few television sets to make a difference. That doesn't mean if conferences were reconfigured that a Washington State or Oregon State might also be left out, but they lucked out by virtue of geographical proximity, as did Iowa State, or Kansas State.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

BYU and Boise State, the big boys in their own conference. Mark it down.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #10
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
BYU and Boise State, the big boys in their own conference. Mark it down.
Killjoy.