cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2008, 08:09 PM   #1
Ceteris Paribus

Ceteris Paribus is on a distinguished road
Default The Departed

I was released last November after serving 5+ years as 1st counselor to a wise and inspired bishop. Among our greatest joys were the mission calls, making a difference with fractured families and the well planned (i.e. anything without the word Trek) youth activities. Deepest sorrows came from being unable to convince 4 previously active families not to resign their memberships, and not preventing other strong members from drifting into inactivity. I still stay up nights haunted by what we could have done differently.

The departures happened as a result of a group of educated and intelligent members learning more about church history and having problems with what they claimed to be doctrinal inconsistencies. A partial list includes contradictions with BofM historicity, BofA translation, DNA (big problem, including poly and amerindian findings), polygamy, racism, etc. One brother found what he claimed to be "plagiarism" of the plan of salvation from a book entitled Heaven and Hell written by who to me was an obscure author named Swedenborg. This was new to us and quite honestly we did not have a good response ready.

It was as if we were bombarded with a selective abridgment of Brodie, Bushman, Compton, Palmer, Quinn, Southerton, et al. None of the departed left with bitterness, there was no unresolved sin, mistreatment or public announcement. They simply concluded the foundation was unstable and left. We remain friends and neighbors, but the relationships are forever changed.

When the resignations began, the bishop made very effort to offer spiritual guidance and counter arguments. We had ward fasts, special temple sessions and distributed FARM commentaries. The stake president even funded a self styled DNA expert (and protege of Hartman Rector) by the name of Rod Meldrum (http://www.bookofmormonevidence.org) to come speak at a stake fireside and discuss his scientific and historical evidence that BofM events were centered in the Great Lakes region.

Problem was Brother Meldrum spoke to and audience that included physicians and biologists; he had little in the way of sound empirical science, and apparently his timeline is off by at least 10K years. In the end, Meldrum did more harm than good.

Right or wrong we found that some Church members now demand historical credibility and tangible evidence to support their faith. Blessings of the Internet I surmise.

I suspect there is a growing trend of similar defections concentrated primarily in the U.S., Britain and Europe. I also trust the Church's response will be strong and include improved bishopric training materials.
Ceteris Paribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Very interesting. This is something we have discussed at length. Credit goes to SIEQ for the phrase "lack of innoculation."

Hiding history will not help. Forthrightly tackling it from the beginning is the key.

Also, at the end of the day, people that are convinced of the truthfulness of the BoM based on "how much it makes sense" or its historicity will always be on an unfirm foundation.

This is a church that is based on the gifts of the Spirit. Without them, there is nothing. And that has to be the underpinning of all tempests that will fall upon us.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:30 PM   #3
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
This is a church that is based on the gifts of the Spirit. Without them, there is nothing. And that has to be the underpinning of all tempests that will fall upon us.
well said.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:56 PM   #4
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Very interesting. This is something we have discussed at length. Credit goes to SIEQ for the phrase "lack of innoculation."

Hiding history will not help. Forthrightly tackling it from the beginning is the key.

Also, at the end of the day, people that are convinced of the truthfulness of the BoM based on "how much it makes sense" or its historicity will always be on an unfirm foundation.

Agreed. What it comes down to for me is my personal spiritual experiences and journey. I don't need to have every last question answered perfectly right now, as practicing the principles of the gospel and following the Spirit works for me and makes me happy. Not all scholarship pushes one away from the church either. It's a huge mistake to make that conclusion, IMO.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:56 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The BoM teaches us that people turn to God when times get hard.

Times are not hard right now.

History tells us that times are not always good.

My intuition tells me that people will turn to God again. When the time is right.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:57 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The fact that he had to be paid says enough. Also in hard times, people will buy snake oil.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:58 PM   #7
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
The BoM teaches us that people turn to God when times get hard.

Times are not hard right now.

History tells us that times are not always good.

My intuition tells me that people will turn to God again. When the time is right.
No. You stole that from Tolstoy.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:01 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
No. You stole that from Tolstoy.
Only Tolstoy I have read is Anna Karenina. Is it from AK?
Old 04-29-2008, 09:10 PM   #9
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Only Tolstoy I have read is Anna Karenina. Is it from AK?
More his philosophical musings late in life. He practically started his own religion and the Orthodox Church excomunicated him even though in the end he was kind of a religious hermit and pilgrims would visit him. But I think the idea that God becomes relevant during trying times and at death's door is a recurring theme in both Dostoevsky's and Tolstoy's works.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:29 PM   #10
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

In my experience there are a few things that help people who come down with the "fever" of the issues and sources you've cited. Some of us here on CG have been faced with the decision of whether or not to walk away. Others are facing that decision right now. Here are a few:

1. A focus on the fruits of Mormonism in my life, as opposed to dwelling on the uncertainty of the roots of the Church.

2. A willingness to accept ambiguity on many issues. My academic training has actually helped me with this.

3. A willingness to not let the mullahs and fundies get me down (at least not in a serious way). The second phase of this is to go about actively deciding what I do and don't think and believe. Jetissoning all the mental gymnastics and non-think can actually feel good. Phase three is being able to appreciate that the ward is filled with good people who mean well despite their shortcomings. I haven't found phase four yet.

4. Getting plugged in to the LDS intellectual scene. Knowing I am not alone is powerful. CG helps many of us in this regard. There are people in every ward who are in very similar situations. They can make great friends.

5. Take seriously what Joseph Smith said about embracing truth wherever you find it. This has lead me to a kind of Mormon universalism, where I'm a faithful heretic.

6. Finding my niche has been important. I served in the primary for four years and loved it. The kids appreciated me and I was insulated from the nonsense going on during the other two hours of the block.

I could keep going, but you get the idea. Wrestling with troubling questions concerning the Church can be very healthy. Faith dies when you stop asking those questions.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 04-29-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote