cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football

Old 09-16-2016, 07:31 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The censoring hammer is hitting hard on CB

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=16522016

They are requiring any post with any ounce of gay in it to be listed under their "gay category".

Why? Those are hidden from the public who just browse the site.

That's probably a good thing for BYU's chances. Because the troglodytes who make up most of CB really come across poorly as they rant and rave against gays.

There's a fair number that are voicing opposing opinions. A lot more than 10 years ago, when sometimes I felt I was in a minority of just a few people.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:31 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

and yes, I was recently given a 7 day suspension for starting a post where I said that BYU will likely find its way back to a reformed MWC.

Which is what I believe is actually going to happen.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:46 PM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=16522016

They are requiring any post with any ounce of gay in it to be listed under their "gay category".

Why? Those are hidden from the public who just browse the site.

That's probably a good thing for BYU's chances. Because the troglodytes who make up most of CB really come across poorly as they rant and rave against gays.

There's a fair number that are voicing opposing opinions. A lot more than 10 years ago, when sometimes I felt I was in a minority of just a few people.
The gay category is itself segregationist and offensive.

Why don't we start a blog and excoriate cougarboard as a fascist organ, using repeated examples like this?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:57 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Yes, why don't I start a website where people aren't censored and can say what they want and criticize CB if they want.

Why have I never thought of that before?

:|
Old 09-16-2016, 10:58 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

btw, I am frequently mocked on CB by posters I don't know as lording over a failed website.0.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:07 PM   #6
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I mean a site narrowly tailored only to attack and critique cougarboard, which has become kind of a monstrosity and sort of BYU football's Pravda. I think the narrow focus would attract a lot of attention. Like a blog, but allowing comments. Call it Cougarboard watchdog. Every day we post an outrage. I'd make all the comments that might put someone at risk of getting exed. You can call yourself Mikewaters (or a more opaque pseudonym). I'd prefer to use my real name.

call it cougarborard watchdog.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:16 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

nobody cares what outrageous things are said on CB. Well, actually, El Jefe cares a little bit. But that's kind of the purpose of a message board. To vent and say outrageous things.

I think to some degree a place like a football message board is a barometer for the culture. But it's a narrow slice. And it certainly doesn't represent the best and most enlightened, or even the middle road average person.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:01 AM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
nobody cares what outrageous things are said on CB. Well, actually, El Jefe cares a little bit. But that's kind of the purpose of a message board. To vent and say outrageous things.

I think to some degree a place like a football message board is a barometer for the culture. But it's a narrow slice. And it certainly doesn't represent the best and most enlightened, or even the middle road average person.
I have been permanently banned for religion, gay discussion or anything considered controversial. I met many of the posters and friends there, but its administration exercises very tight supervision over any sensitive subject. I would suspect the moderators are offspring of Ernie Wilkerson.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:31 AM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I am banned from most non-sports related categories as well

religion
gays
current events
family/relationships
politics

Maybe a couple of others.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:52 AM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Jefe is strict about his categorization of posts, in part, because it allows people to customize their experience. People can block all posts about gays if they have the gay category on ignore.

He's in a little bit of a bind, I would think, in that Big 12 news and speculation is driving a lot of traffic, but much of the discussion is about gay rights which he wants to sequester in the gay category (which is less visible).

But you know what, it's his site, he can control it anyway he feels, to make the site of his liking. He doesn't have put up with TripletDaddy if he doesn't want to.