cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 04-07-2015, 03:14 PM   #1
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road
Default Jabari Parker

I wish him the best. I hope he recovers well from his injury and can have a great pro career.

And maybe the college experience was never really that important to him. Maybe he always thought it was just a one year step in the road to the NBA. But if it did matter to him, I think it's a little sad how it turned out. I can certainly understand wanting to play at Duke for Coach K. But then he goes there and they lose in the first round of the tournament. And then he's gone, only to see Coach K's very next batch of marquee freshmen win it. His college career will forever just be a small footnote in Duke history that Duke fans are going to try to forget -- other than in the context of how it may have motivated the coaches and players to do better the following year. Okafor and Winslow will forever be remembered fondly by Duke fans. Sure they aren't 4 year guys like Laettner or Grant Hill, but they won a championship following a very disappointing season the previous year. Jabari -- probably not remembered so much.

Bottom line is, I don't think his one year of college at Duke is going to matter at all as far as how basketball and his NBA career goes. It wasn't long enough to matter. But as a BYU fan I have to wonder if he wouldn't have gotten a few additional personal benefits from going there without his NBA career being any less good. He seems like a nice kid though. I wish him the best in basketball and in everything else in his life. Hard to say I wouldn't have been lured by the same things at that age especially if I hadn't grown up as a BYU fan.

Last edited by BlueK; 04-07-2015 at 07:26 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:04 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Jabari got to play with Coach K. The John Wooden of his generation.

If Jabari had come to BYU, he would have played for Dave Rose.

Not really a hard choice.

At Duke he got to play with and against the best talent in the nation. At BYU he would have played late-night games in high school gyms.

Not really a hard choice.

But it's a credit to BYU that BYU was even in the running. Cause really, BYU should never been in the running.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:30 PM   #3
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

BYU was only in the running because Jabari is LDS. Otherwise, of course not. The fact BYU was in the running to me makes me think he was also strongly considering the non-basketball reasons for going there.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote