cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 03-12-2015, 05:13 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dumb guys on CB and their basketball opinions

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=13825892

Quote:
Hit the weights Corbin and Isaac
Can't believe how huge Gonzaga's Karnowski is. He even made Kaufusi look small. He's back next year as well as Sabonis, unless the NBA comes calling.
Because a guy is fat and weighs 280, our guys most gain weight to match his size. Even though Karnowski won't sniff the NBA.

Quote:
Neilson is a wing in a 6'10 body
He doesn't want any part defending the post. I like his skills and decent athleticism, but he better reinvent himself this summer or he is going to get lost in the shuffle.
Nielsen and "athletic" are two words that should never go together. Yeah, doesn't have the quickness to defend at the 5, so, yeah, he'll be great defending at the 4.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:29 PM   #2
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=13825892

Because a guy is fat and weighs 280, our guys most gain weight to match his size. Even though Karnowski won't sniff the NBA.

Nielsen and "athletic" are two words that should never go together. Yeah, doesn't have the quickness to defend at the 5, so, yeah, he'll be great defending at the 4.
Karnowski isn't NBA talent because he's too slow. However, for 90% of college teams he presents a problem because he's 7-2 and huge. He rebounds well and takes up a lot of space on defense. He can make close shots when he posts up and shoots over guys. As long as the refs let him push people out of the way when he has the ball he is going to be tough to guard in college because most college teams don't have talented size. Talented big guys get snatched up by the NBA almost immediately, so the college game is much different.

But no, I don't think Kaufusi getting fat would make him better. I think he will get better over time. I don't expect Neilson to be more than hopefully a somewhat serviceable backup in the future.

Last edited by BlueK; 03-12-2015 at 06:34 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:46 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I think Kaufusi can guard him just fine as is. As long as he refrains from grabbing and swatting (and frankly, jumping).

Neilsen may be a 4 minutes/game person in the future. Your third 5 off the bench. And you cross your fingers that he will be able to play some defense.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:57 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

This thread may be a regular feature!
Old 03-18-2015, 08:43 PM   #5
BlueK

I suppose we get our share of these kinds of fans because we skew so much in our culture toward being a football school, but these kinds of comments below about the NIT always make me want to throw up. Playing a couple of games in the NIT is completely stupid and pointless. Would you really rather have us taking CSU's place in the bracket below? Because that's pretty much what it would have looked like. This team had a lot of issues which led to not winning last night, but if you care about the longterm health of the program, getting over some of our problems and making it into the real tournament is a lot better than wasting time in the Not Important Tournament even if it means another night or two for our fans to go cheer at the Marriott Center. The players we're trying to recruit don't give a rat's behind about playing for a team or fanbase that is just happy to go to the NIT.

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=13855153

http://i.turner.ncaa.com/dr/ncaa/nca...it-bracket.pdf

Last edited by BlueK; 03-18-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:10 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Yeah the NIT sucks. But it's better than nothing.

I wish we could make some noise in the tourney. Maybe in 2 years, it will be our turn to get to the sweet 16 again and have a competitive game in that round. That would be nice.

Elite 8 would be amazing.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:03 PM   #7
BlueK

Baylor goes down. Either Mississippi, Xavier or Georgia State is going to the Sweet 16.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:22 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Haws must be throwing up right now.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:13 PM   #9
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Haws must be throwing up right now.
Xavier looks pretty good so far. Not sure we could have beaten them anyway with this year's team. They're pretty strong inside. Next year teams will have to play us a little more honest because Kyle Davis will be able to post up and score in the paint, especially if he's covered by a 4 on the other team.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:22 AM   #10
BlueK

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=13880345

If the other team has to put a lockdown defender on Collinsworth it's because they fear his outside shot which means he's added another element to his game which makes him even better. Normally teams will have KC's guy sag off of him while he's far away from the basket to make it harder for Haws or someone else to come open and receive KC's pass. Moving their best defender to tightly cover KC would mean weaker defenders on the guys KC is trying to get the ball to. This would actually play right into BYU's hands. The poster seems to only understand that KC and Haws are both good players. The problem is the other team's reaction to them is going to be completely different because they fill completely different roles and don't have games that are even remotely similar. he also lacks some key information in assuming our inside play is going to be exactly the same.

Trust me, Kyle Davis is a very good player who will change the makeup of BYU's offensive attack this year. He went 7/11 against BYU last season, scoring almost all of those within 10 feet of the basket. Even if Aytes completely fizzles out, just having Davis in there along with a hopefully improved Kaufusi will change how BYU attacks the defense and make it a little harder to defend us. Just my thoughts. Offense is never really the problem on Rose's teams anyway. I hope our defense becomes at least adequate this year. If it does we should be better next year.

Last edited by BlueK; 03-25-2015 at 03:58 PM.