cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Finances

Old 08-03-2008, 01:11 AM   #1
Jennerstein

Jennerstein
Default Company Benefits

After reading another thread on a different forum, I thought it'd be interesting to see what everyone's company benefits are. Maybe this has been done already, but here's mine at least.

Company: Large Investment Management Company (i.e. Mutual Funds)

Vacation: 18 days (144 hours) with 0 years service. 20+ days after 4 years. PTO may be rolled over each year but maxes out at 252 hours for non-managers.

Sick time: 9 days available. Paid Jury duty, paid bereavement leave.

Paid holidays: 9 per year (this is all based on when the NYSE closes)

Flex schedules: Depends on team. Some allow telecommuting for 1 to 2 days a week. Others allow 9/80.

Retirement: Each year, the company puts 15% of your total earnings (salary and bonuses) into a master retirement plan. The money is be invested into the 20 or so mutual funds available in the plan (you determine fund allocation). 100% vested after 6 years. There is no 401k match.

Bonuses: For exempt associates, 2 bonuses a year based on individual performance and company performance. Individual is usually 13 to 18 percent of annual salary. Company bonus is usually anywhere from 10% to 18% based on a metric of length of service/company earnings. Bonuses have been paid out the last 10 years I've been told.

Salary: Competitive, usually in top 75% of salaries for area.

Raises: 3% if meeting expectations, up to 6% if you're doing an outstanding job (i.e. you're Superman or something).

Health: Choices of PPO and HMO. I'm with a PPO, with co-pay of $30. PPO's usually pay 90% of the usual and customary charges. I pay about $40 out of my pay check.

Dental: PPO or HMO. My PPO plan is 80/20.

Vision: Covered by health plan

Life insurance: Two times annual salary, rounded up to the nearest $50k.

Training: Training courses are covered by the company and are available for IT and business related areas. Most business courses are by the New York Institute of Finance, which will come onsite. Classes include Fixed Income, Equities, Capital Markets, Trading, Portfolio Management, etc.

Education: 5K/year for undergraduate degrees, 10K/year for graduate degrees

Wellness: Up to $400 reimbursed per year for health/wellness related expenses (e.g. gym, yoga, exercise equipment, etc).

Food: 25% discount on meals at local restaurants or on-site cafeteria. The on-site cafeterias are usually quite good.

Entertainment: Each year, the company gives associates free tickets to Sporting or Entertainment events (e.g. baseball, basketball, Broadway, Philharmonic, Disneyland etc). You're allotted one set of free tickets a year based on 3 ticket preferences established in February. The more popular sporting and entertainment are based on seniority, so the company recommends that your third preference be for something that has guaranteed tickets (like Disneyland tickets). At the worst, you'll get a set of 4 Disneyland tickets for the year. At the best, you get something like near-courtside Lakers tickets.

Parking: Covered parking on campus.

Other:
1. We're a load shop, so mutual fund purchases may be purchased at NAV (net asset value) by you or extended family members. Basically, this means you're able to buy the funds without any sales charges.
2. Associates who've been with the company for more than 20 years get free upgrades to first class on all business flights.
3. We're on some sort of Microsoft licensing program where Office 2007 and XP are only $10.

The company emphasizes conservative, long term investment results and takes a similar mindset with its employees. The hiring process is length and exhaustive, but it's very difficult to be laid-off or fired once you're hired full-time. In fact, I've never heard of any stories of full time associates who have been laid-off/fired. Contractors are a slightly different story though. I usually work 40 hour weeks, and rarely have to put in extra hours.
Jennerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:51 AM   #2
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennerstein View Post
After reading another thread on a different forum, I thought it'd be interesting to see what everyone's company benefits are. Maybe this has been done already, but here's mine at least......
Those are some pretty good Benefits.

I get 20 days a year vacation. My salary isn't fantastic but I got a 15k raise when I came over from a non-profit hospital in 2006. My bonus potential is 20% of my base but if I do exceptionally well they would reward me (or so they say). Since we are start up in the 5th year of operations the big thing everyone wants is stock options (who knows when the "going public" will happen). I came in too late in the game to get the options at my level. One of my peers got options at $2 a share. Our CFO says our shares are worth $40/share at our last board meeting. I have heard that this same peer got 8 thousand shares (Nice 300k payday for him). I'm not worried as I saw an analysis a couple of weeks ago entitled "why the stock price will be $250 in 2012". Hopefully I get stock next year and this baby keeps going up.

We have Blue cross blue shield for our health provider. Its not great but pretty standard for non hospital or union workers. Case in point when my daughter was born we paid $10 for all the prenatal visits and the birth. When my son was born it turned into $1,000

I generally work 55-65 hours a week (sometimes a lot more). I'm told its going to be worth it someday but I am beginning to have my doubts. We do go out for team dinners on a regular basis and very nice restaraunts. I get to fly to Chicago enough that I can earn a couple free flights a year (I usually fly in the morning and fly out at night).

My firm matches 1 1/2 % of your 401k. Like I said its all in getting the stock options. If I dont get them next year I will be moving on.