cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 02:39 PM   #11
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
And my past reluctance to share "faith promoting" stories and details of my Patriarchal Blessing has oncd again been justified.
Your patriarchal blessing would carry a lot of credence with me if it mentions "you will be thought to be a horses butt by many."
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:41 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Your patriarchal blessing would carry a lot of credence with me if it mentions "you will be thought to be a horses butt by many."
or mentioned the phrase "Sunshine pumper".
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:44 PM   #13
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Case in point.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:44 PM   #14
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
or mentioned the phrase "Sunshine pumper".
Or if the first letter of each line at the beginning of your PB spelled W-a-n-k-e-r
Old 10-16-2007, 02:50 PM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Flystripper's experience gives him and his mother pause for thought. There are some experiences which probably should not be shared, and some that might help others. Whether a person should withhold these experiences is within the discretion of the person experiencing them.

I have experienced a number of near death experiences and have not known what to make of them. At no time did I perceive anything miraculous, but that may be solely due to my insensitivity, not due to a lack of divine intervention.

I was wondering, what death must be like. Is it one of those experiences where the first time you experience, you sit there thinking, this is taking a long time, or is it that we have deceived ourselves and there is nothing. If we cease to exist, that truly is a sad thing.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:55 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Flystripper's experience gives him and his mother pause for thought. There are some experiences which probably should not be shared, and some that might help others. Whether a person should withhold these experiences is within the discretion of the person experiencing them.

I have experienced a number of near death experiences and have not known what to make of them. At no time did I perceive anything miraculous, but that may be solely due to my insensitivity, not due to a lack of divine intervention.

I was wondering, what death must be like. Is it one of those experiences where the first time you experience, you sit there thinking, this is taking a long time, or is it that we have deceived ourselves and there is nothing. If we cease to exist, that truly is a sad thing.
Adam implied that he had a near-death experience that makes him not doubt the existence of an after-life.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:12 PM   #17
Indy Coug

More often than not, I think miracles are given for the benefit of the recipient, moreso than for the purpose of relating such to help "faith promote" for those that didn't experience the miracle first-hand.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:15 PM   #18
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
This brings up all sorts of other issues though. If God is responsible when someone comes out of car accident unhurt, why is he not responsible when someone dies in the same car accident? Why do we give him credit for only the good things? I know that the answer will involve not being able to understand God's will, but think about this: Isn't what we see in these situations exactly what we would expect to see from simple probability? Isn't the entire world what we would expect if there were no divine agent involving itself in our lives? If no, how so? Imagine a world without God, and describe it. How is it different?
I guess a bigger question for me is why do you care so much how people choose to interpret such experiences? Is there any harm in showing some humility and giving thanks to God?

Further, do you honestly believe that none of us has pondered the idea that there is no God and that life may be completely random? Your evangelical zeal about such a simple and basic question of life is puzzling.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:15 PM   #19
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Adam implied that he had a near-death experience that makes him not doubt the existence of an after-life.
I remember that, but for some reason, I've never been given that assurance. Yet as I was pondering what one feels when one is encountering a first time experience, I wondered if death were similar. It would be a shame, if this life is all there is, to acquire knowledge with no future.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:36 PM   #20
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't have a problem accepting the idea that miracles happen. I've seen plenty of things happen that I couldn't explain. But I don't necessarily assume that because I can't explain something, it comes from God. There was a time not too long ago when people with mental illness were assumed to be cursed by God, or that people with seizures possessed demons. I think it's arrogant to rely on science to the degree that you reject any idea that can't be explained by science, but it's equally arrogant of people to assume that everything that can't be explained by science is a manifestation of God.

I once visited a pyschic on a lark. No one is more of a cynic or more of a skeptic than me, but the pyschic told me things he had no business knowing. I can't explain it, but I don't assume God was whispering things into his ear, nor do I think science could adequately explain why some people are more clairvoyant than others. Reading the threads on the board the last couple of days, one would think that science and religion are the only tools we have for gaining knowledge. Are those really our only two choices?
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote