cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion

Old 03-09-2016, 06:18 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The homophobic mullah strain on the church

http://www.mormonwomenstand.com/whic...-you-facebook/
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:45 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I wonder if any of these people have a gay parent, sibling, or child. And how they would react in those cases. "Hey dad, I'm getting married to my partner. Are you going to be attending the wedding?"

These guys can talk big about how hard-ass they are about the gospel and how they dare not condone "sin". Real world ain't that simple. Nor do I feel it is a gospel principle to not support others, even if their practices and standards are not exactly the same.

I would MUCH prefer my gay sibling to be married and monogamous than to be out there with no steady relationships (I'm not commenting on what his status is--I'm just saying this as a hypothetical).

I feel like this is where the church is really falling down. We see people that are really struggling through what I think is no fault of their own. My brother didn't choose to be gay. He's been through A LOT trying to negotiate being born into this church and being gay. I have tried to tell him that I think there is a place in this church for him, but he doesn't believe me. And now I see that I really have no backing from the church leaders. They don't want him in the church, not if he is accepting of being gay and not ashamed of it. It's really, really dissatisfying for me. And then to be surrounded by saints who are assholes, to top it off.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:00 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I wonder if any of these people have a gay parent, sibling, or child. And how they would react in those cases. "Hey dad, I'm getting married to my partner. Are you going to be attending the wedding?"

These guys can talk big about how hard-ass they are about the gospel and how they dare not condone "sin". Real world ain't that simple. Nor do I feel it is a gospel principle to not support others, even if their practices and standards are not exactly the same.

I would MUCH prefer my gay sibling to be married and monogamous than to be out there with no steady relationships (I'm not commenting on what his status is--I'm just saying this as a hypothetical).

I feel like this is where the church is really falling down. We see people that are really struggling through what I think is no fault of their own. My brother didn't choose to be gay. He's been through A LOT trying to negotiate being born into this church and being gay. I have tried to tell him that I think there is a place in this church for him, but he doesn't believe me. And now I see that I really have no backing from the church leaders. They don't want him in the church, not if he is accepting of being gay and not ashamed of it. It's really, really dissatisfying for me. And then to be surrounded by saints who are assholes, to top it off.
The Church is losing millennials on this issue but doesn't have to lose them. The leaders are so old and out of touch they just don't get it.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:16 PM   #4
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Q

Quote:

Sorry to hear that. Given America's awful political situation and the headscratchers going on in Church HQ, I just retreat back to my personal life. Must be hard when it's not an option for you.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:25 PM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Sorry to hear that. Given America's awful political situation and the headscratchers going on in Church HQ, I just retreat back to my personal life. Must be hard when it's not an option for you.
Retreating to my own tent is something I do a lot now.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:54 PM   #6
ChinoCoug

Asian attitude: Being gay is OK...as long as it's not your own kid.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:12 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

On Facebook. I hope the authors of the article above realize that they stand rebuked.

Quote:
Dale G. Renlund
Yesterday at 1:01pm ·
We can stand firm in our beliefs and have a loving relationship with those who hold differing opinions. For example, I believe drinking alcohol is a violation of God’s law. So what do I do when I am hosting friends who do not believe as I do? My wife and I arrange to go to a restaurant with them where they can order as they choose to. And when they order wine with their meal, I do not get in their faces and call them out as sinners.
Similarly, can I be friends with individuals who are living together without the benefit of marriage? Absolutely. And when I am with them, do I stand up in great indignation and call them to repentance, even though they are presently engaged in behavior I do not agree with? No, of course not.
We can stand firm in our beliefs and have a loving relationship with those who hold differing opinions. Let us not forget that the plan of salvation offers the love and mercy of our Savior Jesus Christ to all.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:20 PM   #8
Archaea

Quote:
On Facebook. I hope the authors of the article above realize that they stand rebuked.
Probably not. Your hope in mankind is too strong. As you have lived life long enough, you should be well aware that mullahs never feel a rebuke unless they are pulled aside and personally rebuked.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:23 PM   #9
ChinoCoug

Jana Riess told me to stop using "mullah" because it stereotypes Islam.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:29 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

As my friend likes to say, "often stereotypes exist for a reason."

When most Islamic countries offer some semblance of freedom of religion, let me know.