cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Other College Sports

Old 07-31-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road
Default 10K open water swim at the olympics...

This would be brutal. I once did three miles in a pool in a little over 1 1/2 hours and I would gladly spend six hours on my bike before I did that again.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
This would be brutal. I once did three miles in a pool in a little over 1 1/2 hours and I would gladly spend six hours on my bike before I did that again.
I would love to enter some Open Water swims as I train with some who've competed at Nationals and Worlds.

It's really not that bad as all you need to do is to draft off somebody and get yourself into a rhythm. 5K is the shortest open water with 10K next and I believe they have 25K and 50K races.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It's really not that bad as all you need to do is to draft off somebody and get yourself into a rhythm. 5K is the shortest open water with 10K next and I believe they have 25K and 50K races.
I've done a few open water swims during tris. The only thing I got was a few sharp kicks in the head; no draft. It was pretty brutal, especially for a weak swimmer. I always bail out of the melee and head to the outside of the pack or drop way back. Basically just try to not drown before the bike leg.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote