cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reverence by SWK

From the Life of Spencer W. Kimball

In 1955 President David O. McKay dedicated the first temple in Europe, the Bern Switzerland Temple. Elder Spencer W. Kimball, then a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, was scheduled to speak at the afternoon session on the first day of the dedication. He spent an hour alone in the temple that day “preparing mind and heart for the afternoon, unhurried, quiet, respectful and reverential.”1 During his address he said: “As I awakened this morning and began to attain consciousness after the night, I saw the dawn advancing, and my thought first came to the holy temple which was to be dedicated this day. I thought, ‘No food today. Shoes must be shined, clothes pressed, and I must have a clean mind.’ All the way to Zollikofen I desired to say no word, and when I came into this room and sat by [President McKay] and all he said was in sacred whispers, I knew then that I had been feeling some of the feeling he has felt. ‘Holiness to the Lord, Holiness becometh the Saints of the Lord.’ ”2
President Kimball did not reserve his reverence only for occasions such as temple dedications. He spoke of reverence as a way of life, and he exemplified this teaching even in small, day-to-day activities. For example, once when he visited a meetinghouse, he quietly entered a restroom, threw away paper towels that were on the floor, and cleaned the sink. A local Church leader noticed this simple expression of respect. Inspired by President Kimball’s example, he taught others to show greater reverence for sacred places and things.3
Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball

Reverence is not a temporary behavior adopted on Sunday but an ongoing attitude of devotion to God.

Reverence has been defined as a “feeling or attitude of deep respect, love, and awe, as for something sacred.” To describe it as devotion to God is another way to express the meaning of reverence.
Many of our leaders have expressed regard for reverence as one of the highest qualities of the soul, indicating it involves true faith in God and in his righteousness, high culture, and a love for the finer things in life. …
As with the other principles of the gospel, reverence leads to increased joy.
We must remember that reverence is not a somber, temporary behavior that we adopt on Sunday. True reverence involves happiness, as well as love, respect, gratitude, and godly fear. It is a virtue that should be part of our way of life. In fact, Latter-day Saints should be the most reverent people in all the earth.4

SWK was my favorite recent President.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:23 PM   #2
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I am just finishing a biography on SWK. He was an incredible man. I've gained nothing but respect for him since reading the bio and also going through the PH manual this year. The book I am reading was written while he was alive and only goes through 1975 or so. I would have loved to read more on his experiences leading up to the 1975 announcement.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:25 PM   #3
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
I am just finishing a biography on SWK. He was an incredible man. I've gained nothing but respect for him since reading the bio and also going through the PH manual this year. The book I am reading was written while he was alive and only goes through 1975 or so. I would have loved to read more on his experiences leading up to the 1975 announcement.
Is Lengthen Your Stride: The Presidency of Spencer W. Kimball (2005)
by Edward L. Kimball on your list? It covers more of that.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:32 PM   #4
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

I'm still freaked out by tone of The Miracle of Forgiveness. I know he wasn't president when he wrote it, but it still comes off unnecessarily harsh, IMO.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:33 PM   #5
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
Is Lengthen Your Stride: The Presidency of Spencer W. Kimball (2005)
by Edward L. Kimball on your list? It covers more of that.
It is now (Amazon list, that is). Thanks for bringing it up. I had forgotten about that one.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:45 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
I'm still freaked out by tone of The Miracle of Forgiveness. I know he wasn't president when he wrote it, but it still comes off unnecessarily harsh, IMO.
Harsh? In what way?

It's been so long since I last read it - and perhaps I should again - but I don't remember ever feeling that it was harsh.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:33 PM   #7
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Harsh? In what way?

It's been so long since I last read it - and perhaps I should again - but I don't remember ever feeling that it was harsh.
Maybe (probably) I was tainted by more guilt than you. I was a teenager and just remember how thick that book laid the guilt on for acts committed and imagined. I'm sure I'd have a different experience if I read it now.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:36 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
Maybe (probably) I was tainted by more guilt than you. I was a teenager and just remember how thick that book laid the guilt on for acts committed and imagined. I'm sure I'd have a different experience if I read it now.
It made you feel cut off from humanity, your family and God himself to such a stark extent that you felt you could never return. You felt as though you would want to cast yourself into an eternal flame to be engulfed by its flame, tearing apart your flesh without the benefit of shock to dull your senses. It does not leave one feeling as if there is any hope.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:45 PM   #9
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It made you feel cut off from humanity, your family and God himself to such a stark extent that you felt you could never return. You felt as though you would want to cast yourself into an eternal flame to be engulfed by its flame, tearing apart your flesh without the benefit of shock to dull your senses. It does not leave one feeling as if there is any hope.
Which is why I chose BYU over Utah for college.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:30 PM   #10
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Which is why I chose BYU over Utah for college.
the hopeless do make foolish decisions