cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 04:56 PM   #1
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road
Default Favorite OT Moment

What's your favorite Old Testament moment?

Here is mine:
And Er, Judah's firstborn, was wicked in the sight of the Lord; and the Lord slew him.
And Judah said unto Onan, Go in unto thy brother's wife, and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother.
And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother.
And the thing which he did displeased the Lord: wherefore he slew him also.
-- Genesis 38: 7-10 (KJV)

Close second is in Proverbs 25:34,

"It is better to dwell in the corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman and in a wide house." (KJV)

And an example of the painful deficiency of one of the new Bible translations:

"It is better to live in a corner of the roof Than in a house shared with a contentious woman."

KJV wins. Much better entertainment value.

SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:09 PM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother.
Translation: if dad tells me to have an affair with my sister in law, but instead I choose to give the ground a pearl necklace, God will smite me.

Got it.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother.
-- Genesis 38: 7-10 (KJV)
Couldn't he had just turned around and walked out. I guess he had his line drawn in the sand and going in and getting a little freaky with the SIL wasn't over the line but going all the way was. He probably came out of that room pretty proud of his self control yet he still got his oil changed.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:48 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
Couldn't he had just turned around and walked out. I guess he had his line drawn in the sand and going in and getting a little freaky with the SIL wasn't over the line but going all the way was. He probably came out of that room pretty proud of his self control yet he still got his oil changed.
And he wasn't a father with child support payments.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:00 PM   #5
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
And he wasn't a father with child support payments.
Does anyone really believe the Lord slew Onan? I guarantee you that lying whore of a SIL shivved him and then pinned it on the Lord. Typical woman.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:01 PM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Does anyone really believe the Lord slew Onan? I guarantee you that lying whore of a SIL shivved him and then pinned it on the Lord. Typical woman.
Fantastic.

To me, this is too much Hebraic legend, but it's great stuff.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:09 PM   #7
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Mine:

13 And there was a day when his sons and his daughters were eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother's house: 14 And there came a messenger unto Job, and said, The oxen were plowing, and the asses feeding beside them: 15 And the Sabeans fell upon them, and took them away; yea, they have slain the servants with the edge of the sword; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee. 16 While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, The fire of God is fallen from heaven, and hath burned up the sheep, and the servants, and consumed them; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee. 17 While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, The Chaldeans made out three bands, and fell upon the camels, and have carried them away, yea, and slain the servants with the edge of the sword; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee. 18 While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, Thy sons and thy daughters were eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother's house: 19 And, behold, there came a great wind from the wilderness, and smote the four corners of the house, and it fell upon the young men, and they are dead; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.

20 Then Job arose, and rent his mantle, and shaved his head, and fell down upon the ground, and worshipped,

21 And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.

22 In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly.

Close second:

Psalm 22:

My God, my God, why have You forsaken me

Far from my rescue are the words that I roar.

My God, I call out by day and You do not answer,

by night—no stillness for me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:17 PM   #8
Archaea

Both of those are moving, especially the second.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:22 PM   #9
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Both of those are moving, especially the second.
I used Alter's new translation for Psalm 22. Here is the KJV:

My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring? 2 O my God, I cry in the daytime, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:24 PM   #10
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

20 And Jacob served seven years for Rachel; and they seemed unto him but a few days, for the love he had to her.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote