cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2007, 05:05 AM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Big plot hole/logical absurdity in Nephi-Laban story

"12 And it came to pass that the Spirit said unto me again: Slay him, for the Lord hath delivered him into thy hands . .

. . .

18 Therefore I did obey the voice of the Spirit, and took Laban by the hair of the head, and I smote off his head with his own sword."

Okay, so "the spirit" told Nephi to kill Laban. This was no mere prompting. "The spirit" had a "voice" that said, "Slay him, for the Lord hath delivered him into thy hands."

I understand a deistic God wholly disciplined in his refusal to intervene in the affairs of men (when I say men I mean women too), relying instead on men themselves to carry out the Providential plan (even as God, from his far removed perch, has a kind of omniscient confidence that things will work out fine in the end).

I understand a Gnostic God, limited and bound by natural laws in his ability to intervene in the affairs of men, but who, like a cunning lawyer, will negotiate those laws as best he can, to try indirectly to induce a desired result or reach a compromise with the Adversary.

I understand an omnipotent God, fully unfettered and unrestrained in his penchant to direct the affairs of men to achieve his desired ends; for example, parting the Red Sea and burying Pharoah's forces in an avalanche of water.

I assume the God who got Laban drunk and then sent a spirit to tell Nephi to behead drunken Laban with his own sword was operating on the third model. Why not just appear before before Laban--God himself or through an angel or a spirit--and command Laban to give up the plates or else (a la parting the Red Sea)? I bet he would have given them up. Getting Laban drunk and then telling Nephi he better do the dirty business of beheading Laban or else seems to me convoluted and lacking the directness and artistry and drama of parting the Red Sea and drowning Pharaoh's army. It also involves a gratuitous killing. Laban had his flaws, but he was not Stalin.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 09-29-2007 at 05:51 AM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:35 AM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Why not just appear before before Laban--God himself or through an angel or a spirit--and command Laban to give up the plates or else (a la parting the Red Sea)?
Sure Laban may have obeyed his visitor and given up the plates, but who is to say an hour later he wouldn't be filled with rage and sent his battalion after Lehi's family.

Similarly, an angel appeared to Laman and Lemuel and told them to stop beating Nephi. They obeyed, but only temporarily. Despite their many spiritual experiences, they kept lapsing into evil.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:35 AM   #3
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

I'm a deist. I believe in a completely non-inverventionalist, clockmaker God. I also believe in people who hear voices. And I believe that some people are inspired by God's influence. I also believe that people sometimes confuse voices in their heads with God's influence.

I think Nephi killing Laban was an example of hearing voices and thinking it was God, or killing a man and then claiming to have heard voices after the fact.

But I don't think Nephi would have won in trial had he gone with the insanity defense.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:47 AM   #4
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
I'm a deist. I believe in a completely non-inverventionalist, clockmaker God. I also believe in people who hear voices. And I believe that some people are inspired by God's influence. I also believe that people sometimes confuse voices in their heads with God's influence.
Whoah whoah whoah. Completely non-interventionist? No miracles? No inspiration? No revelation? No guidance? Wow.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:53 AM   #5
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Whoah whoah whoah. Completely non-interventionist? No miracles? No inspiration? No revelation? No guidance? Wow.
Don't put words in my mouth.

I believe God's influence insires people, and that influence could be considered the vehicle for inspiration, revelation, guidance, and "miracles."

I just don't believe that god inspires people to chop each other's heads off. I know that must disappoint you.

And I don't believe God actively intervenes.

Last edited by SoonerCoug; 09-29-2007 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:58 AM   #6
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
Don't put words in my mouth.

I believe God's influence insires people, and that influence could be considered the vehicle for inspiration, revelation, guidance, and "miracles."

I just don't believe that god inspires people to chop each other's heads off. I know that must disappoint you.

And I don't believe God actively intervenes.
Sorry, I didn't intend to put words into your mouth. I guess I was unclear on what "strictly non-interventionist" meant.

So you believe in divine inspiration and guidance. But you don't believe in direct intervention miracles, like healing the sick or parting the Red Sea or protection from harm?
Old 09-29-2007, 07:01 AM   #7
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Sorry, I didn't intend to put words into your mouth. I guess I was unclear on what "strictly non-interventionist" meant.

So you believe in divine inspiration and guidance. But you don't believe in direct intervention miracles, like healing the sick or parting the Red Sea or protection from harm?
I think most miracles are just folklore. But I also believe that inspiration can allow for things like "healing the sick" in the sense that the body and "soul" (mind) are linked and being hopeful for a recovery may actually increase the chances of recovery.

Last edited by SoonerCoug; 09-29-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:03 AM   #8
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
I think most miracles are just folklore. But I also believe that inspiration can allow for things like "healing the sick" in the sense that the body and "soul" are linked and being hopeful for a recovery may actually increase the chances of recovery.
Well okay then. Interesting perspective.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:45 PM   #9
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
"12 And it came to pass that the Spirit said unto me again: Slay him, for the Lord hath delivered him into thy hands . .

. . .

18 Therefore I did obey the voice of the Spirit, and took Laban by the hair of the head, and I smote off his head with his own sword."

Okay, so "the spirit" told Nephi to kill Laban. This was no mere prompting. "The spirit" had a "voice" that said, "Slay him, for the Lord hath delivered him into thy hands."

I understand a deistic God wholly disciplined in his refusal to intervene in the affairs of men (when I say men I mean women too), relying instead on men themselves to carry out the Providential plan (even as God, from his far removed perch, has a kind of omniscient confidence that things will work out fine in the end).

I understand a Gnostic God, limited and bound by natural laws in his ability to intervene in the affairs of men, but who, like a cunning lawyer, will negotiate those laws as best he can, to try indirectly to induce a desired result or reach a compromise with the Adversary.

I understand an omnipotent God, fully unfettered and unrestrained in his penchant to direct the affairs of men to achieve his desired ends; for example, parting the Red Sea and burying Pharoah's forces in an avalanche of water.

I assume the God who got Laban drunk and then sent a spirit to tell Nephi to behead drunken Laban with his own sword was operating on the third model. Why not just appear before before Laban--God himself or through an angel or a spirit--and command Laban to give up the plates or else (a la parting the Red Sea)? I bet he would have given them up. Getting Laban drunk and then telling Nephi he better do the dirty business of beheading Laban or else seems to me convoluted and lacking the directness and artistry and drama of parting the Red Sea and drowning Pharaoh's army. It also involves a gratuitous killing. Laban had his flaws, but he was not Stalin.
No doubt. Or, couldn't God have made the plates disappear from among Laban's possessions and magically reappear at Nephi's house? Why the long, drawn-out process?

On a more practical note, wouldn't it be nearly impossible to cut someone's head clean off with a sword if holding that person by the hair? Not a lot of room to swing the sword. So, I guess Nephi had to do some hacking/sawing. Wouldn't that get blood all over the place - on Laban's clothes, on Nephi's arms, etc.? It'd be hard to pull off the disguise trick drenched in blood.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:12 PM   #10
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

When Mormon and Moroni were editing the plates, why did they choose to include this story? Were they on the same caffeine rush as Nephi and interpreted it to be a voice from the heavens approving the fable?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote