cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 04:02 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why is the NAACP rushing to the aid of Vick?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/07/30...ing/index.html

I don't see how a serious organization could do this.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/07/30...ing/index.html

I don't see how a serious organization could do this.
I assume you're being sarcastic when you say the phrase "serious organization" about the NAACP?

This is not surprising when you consider that it's a racist, partisan organization.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:34 PM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I assume you're being sarcastic when you say the phrase "serious organization" about the NAACP?

This is not surprising when you consider that it's a racist, partisan organization.
One need only consider that Thurgood Marshall was chief counsel for the NAACP when, in that capacity, he won Brown v. Board of Education before the Supreme Court, ending federal government sanctioned and state government sponsored apartheid among U.S. school children, to appreciate what an empty headed and racist statement this is.

Tex, as a devout Mormon you of all people should more careful about casting charges of racism at historically important black organizations like the NAACP. If you made this statement in the corporate executive suit of your employer, or to a reporter as a politician, your professional life would be over. What irony that you claim people's historical perspective begins at their birth. That uncharitable and ignorant perspective of others is no excuse for this kind of sweeping condemnation of a sacred institution like the NAACP.

Tex, are you for real or just some kind of evil troll?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:38 PM   #4
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
One need only consider that Thurgood Marshall was chief counsel for the NAACP when, in that capacity, he won Brown v. Board of Education before the Supreme Court, ending federal government sanctioned and state government sponsored apartheid among U.S. school children, to appreciate what an empty headed and racist statement this is.

Tex, as a devout Mormon you of all people should more careful about casting charges of racism at historically important black organizations like the NAACP. If you made this statement in the corporate executive suit of your employer, or to a reporter as a politician, your professional life would be over. What irony that you claim people's historical perspective begins at their birth. That uncharitable and ignorant perspective of others is no excuse for this kind of sweeping condemnation of a sacred institution like the NAACP.

And as a devout Mormon (from where, by the way, Tex?), most of the exposure he gets to the NAACP may very well be cases like unto this defense of Michael Vick. Similar sentiments exist regarding the ACLU.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:41 PM   #5
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
And as a devout Mormon (from where, by the way, Tex?), most of the exposure he gets to the NAACP may very well be cases like unto this defense of Michael Vick. Similar sentiments exist regarding the ACLU.
Then me thinks Tex needs to do a little more reading before casting charges of racism.

—Paul Auster
Old 07-30-2007, 06:00 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The NAACP can have some loose cannons among them, many having gone off the reservation in the past.

Most of us only here about the NAACP in cases such as this.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:02 PM   #7
Tex

Quote:

The NAACP once served a noble purpose, and I nod my head to what they accomplished in the 1950's.

The modern organization is not your father's NAACP. Julian Bond and Kweisi Mfume are no Thurgood Marshall.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:11 PM   #8
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The NAACP can have some loose cannons among them, many having gone off the reservation in the past.

Most of us only here about the NAACP in cases such as this.
The NAACP is a partisan organization, to be sure. That is their function. But to call them "racist" is unacceptable.

Many of our fathers thought Thurgood Marshall was an extremist. Partisan organizations representing minority interests serve a function in a liberal democratic society. We all should be open to their perspective. It's asinine to just dismiss them as racist.

Waters, you did ask a good question at the outset, the whole reason being because, yes, it is worth asking why a historically momentous organization like the NAACP would deign to support someone like Vick. I suppose it's that he's a black man charged with a crime in a southern state and he hasn't been officially convicted yet, though in the press his guilt is a foregone conclusion.

—Paul Auster
Old 07-30-2007, 07:34 PM   #9
Tex

Quote:
The NAACP is a partisan organization, to be sure. That is their function. But to call them "racist" is unacceptable.
Funny you should say that, since they claim to be non-partisan. I guess it's really inaccurate to say the organization is racist. What I mean by that is, it's leadership and prominent card-carrying membership are racists.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:48 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Funny you should say that, since they claim to be non-partisan. I guess it's really inaccurate to say the organization is racist. What I mean by that is, it's leadership and prominent card-carrying membership are racists.
The NAACP is an organization with a proud history, and even their leaders will admit to mistakes.

I had a discussion with the then President at BYU. I commented how my father had been a President of a chapter but was later kicked out, when they noted he wasn't black. She felt badly and stated, "sadly we had our bad moments as well."

The organization because of its social agenda will necessarily sound partisan and make mistakes, but it has played an important role in addressing social injustices.