cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > House Keeping > What should this site be?
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 08:32 PM   #1
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American
Default De Deminutione Civium Et Calamitate Rei Publicae

This site has taken a qualitative hit in the last couple of weeks. What we once prided as a bastion of reason and logic, a place for open discussion made possible through respectful dissent and thoughtful consideration, is rapidly descending into the mire whence we came. As a result, some who contributed much now contribute little, and others who contributed little now contribute nothing. It is time for a change. Those who esteem highly the pillar of self moderation will quickly find that they must employ it or see that which was highly regarded vanish.

We can all, no doubt, look at another person or poster here and find in them the blame; how many of us will look as intensely at themselves? The schism between the old guard and the new guard is both predictable and unavoidable, but need not be deemed unprofitable. I've learned much by being confronted with ideas that run contrary to my own dispositions, but that has only been the case to the extent that I have made a conscious effort to respectfully consider the point of view of the other person. I suppose there has been nobody with whom I've disagreed or scuffled with as much as SeattleUte; the truth be told, however, I've seen some very interesting insights from what he's put up here. Time permitting, I may spout off some of it here. As it is, the abrasive nature of the discussions of the previous few weeks have the tendency of pushing moderation out to the fringes.

That having been submitted, might I make a humble request: we need to make a much greater effort to respect dissenting opinions. Even if certain parties are more prone to engage in uncivil behavior, Mom wasn't kidding when she said it takes two to fight-- they don't dance if we don't agree to be their partner. In conjunction with this request, I would also recommend a renewed effort to tread lightly upon that which others hold sacred. In particular, I would appreciate a greater measure of respect towards church leaders with whom you may or may not agree. Elder McKonkie, Packer, and Bateman have been the most usual targets, but others have not been spared. These are men that make great sacrifices to serve God and their fellow man. I don't ask that you always agree with them, but I do ask that you respect the man; if you can't respect the man, respect the office; if you can't respect the office, respect those that do.

I believe that we will find that to the extent greater clemency is shown towards those with whom we here frequent, we will find the time spent here to be much more worthwhile.

Just a thought.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:52 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
This site has taken a qualitative hit in the last couple of weeks. What we once prided as a bastion of reason and logic, a place for open discussion made possible through respectful dissent and thoughtful consideration, is rapidly descending into the mire whence we came. As a result, some who contributed much now contribute little, and others who contributed little now contribute nothing. It is time for a change. Those who esteem highly the pillar of self moderation will quickly find that they must employ it or see that which was highly regarded vanish.

We can all, no doubt, look at another person or poster here and find in them the blame; how many of us will look as intensely at themselves? The schism between the old guard and the new guard is both predictable and unavoidable, but need not be deemed unprofitable. I've learned much by being confronted with ideas that run contrary to my own dispositions, but that has only been the case to the extent that I have made a conscious effort to respectfully consider the point of view of the other person. I suppose there has been nobody with whom I've disagreed or scuffled with as much as SeattleUte; the truth be told, however, I've seen some very interesting insights from what he's put up here. Time permitting, I may spout off some of it here. As it is, the abrasive nature of the discussions of the previous few weeks have the tendency of pushing moderation out to the fringes.

That having been submitted, might I make a humble request: we need to make a much greater effort to respect dissenting opinions. Even if certain parties are more prone to engage in uncivil behavior, Mom wasn't kidding when she said it takes two to fight-- they don't dance if we don't agree to be their partner. In conjunction with this request, I would also recommend a renewed effort to tread lightly upon that which others hold sacred. In particular, I would appreciate a greater measure of respect towards church leaders with whom you may or may not agree. Elder McKonkie, Packer, and Bateman have been the most usual targets, but others have not been spared. These are men that make great sacrifices to serve God and their fellow man. I don't ask that you always agree with them, but I do ask that you respect the man; if you can't respect the man, respect the office; if you can't respect the office, respect those that do.

I believe that we will find that to the extent greater clemency is shown towards those with whom we here frequent, we will find the time spent here to be much more worthwhile.

Just a thought.
Out of the mouth of babes.

I guess that could sound patronizing, which is not intended.

I wholeheartedly endorse this post.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:55 PM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Excellent post, AA.

I am not sure it is quite as dire as you present it, but there certainly has been too much anger and bitterness lately for my taste.

For the record, I have been trying to avoid confrontations with Tex for a while now. Haven't fallen off the wagon for a couple of weeks or so. (near as I can remember anyway) Light a candle for me.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:51 PM   #4
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Excellent post, AA.

I am not sure it is quite as dire as you present it, but there certainly has been too much anger and bitterness lately for my taste.

For the record, I have been trying to avoid confrontations with Tex for a while now. Haven't fallen off the wagon for a couple of weeks or so. (near as I can remember anyway) Light a candle for me.
Not dire, no, but I have been reading too much of Cicero's Catilinarian orations as of late.