cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2008, 08:40 PM   #81
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Obviously it wasn't a popular practice, and it was useful fodder for politicians and the media who didn't want the Mormons exerting political control over a state and, later, the largest federal territory. It is pretty hard to find a legal reason to remove a group of people on the basis that there are a lot of them and you don't want them in control. It is easier if you can find something they are doing that is illegal and make that the focus.

That's surely true for some, especially those in power, but reading articles from the day it sure looks like a lot of people were whipped up into a frenzy about all the po-ligs.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:43 PM   #82
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
That's surely true for some, especially those in power, but reading articles from the day it sure looks like a lot of people were whipped up into a frenzy about all the po-ligs.
I honestly think they just followed. Once the media and the leaders made it an issue, I believe people did get whipped up into a frenzy. But I believe the media and leaders made it an issue to eliminate the actual problem they saw, which was a political issue.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:54 PM   #83
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I honestly think they just followed. Once the media and the leaders made it an issue, I believe people did get whipped up into a frenzy. But I believe the media and leaders made it an issue to eliminate the actual problem they saw, which was a political issue.

It could be, and that is not an unreasonable inference, but it is just an inference for the majority of people. Moreover, when you say they followed doesn't that mean that the popular opinion that supported the policital action was exactly what I am suggesting?
Old 04-10-2008, 08:56 PM   #84
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
My wife published a very interesting article about the federal polygamy raids in Utah some years ago and in reviewing her research it is clear that the media and the popular opinion was rather strong against Mormons and their adoption of polygamy, described as "one of the twin relics of barbarism" (along with slavery).
Thank you.

And that is very well put by whomever. Polygamy and slavery are indeed the twin relics of barbarism.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:01 PM   #85
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Thank you.

And that is very well put by whomever. Polygamy and slavery are indeed the twin relics of barbarism.
As much as I am loathe to egg you on, I recall a very graphic illustration in some periodical of the day showing a black man in chains on one side of the page and a Brigham Young-ish bearded man in a black suit with a gaggle of homely women behind him on the other under the banner headline "The Twin Relics Of Barbarism!"
Old 04-10-2008, 09:17 PM   #86
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
As much as I am loathe to egg you on, I recall a very graphic illustration in some periodical of the day showing a black man in chains on one side of the page and a Brigham Young-ish bearded man in a black suit with a gaggle of homely women behind him on the other under the banner headline "The Twin Relics Of Barbarism!"
What was it Mark Twain said about polygamy?
Old 04-10-2008, 09:24 PM   #87
Cali Coug

Quote:
It could be, and that is not an unreasonable inference, but it is just an inference for the majority of people. Moreover, when you say they followed doesn't that mean that the popular opinion that supported the policital action was exactly what I am suggesting?
To an extent. Without the political threat posed by the Mormons, regardless of their polygamist practices, I doubt very much that Mormons would have ever been a big issue for anyone. The political issues were the timber, and polygamy was the fire. They went hand in hand to operate against Mormons, but nobody would have cared much about polygamy, I think, if Mormons weren't a group they were already terrified of.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:24 PM   #88
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
What was it Mark Twain said about polygamy?
I can't remember the exact quote. It is in Roughing It. Something about how he used to think Mormon men had it great, but when he saw the Mormon women, he determined to take off his hat in humble reverence and bow in respect to the Mormon man who took more than one of them.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:27 PM   #89
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Timber????????

Timber in Utah was the issue?

Wow. That's a new one.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:36 PM   #90
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Timber????????

Timber in Utah was the issue?

Wow. That's a new one.
Mikey Mike bobikey bananafanna fo fikey me my mo mikey, mikey.

Timber and flame are to political issues and polygamy. The real issue was the political issue, i.e. the timber, polygamy was the fire, i.e. the flame, to get at the real issue.

We all have our exute moments amigo.