cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2008, 09:05 PM   #1
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road
Default Perpetual Education Fund

I've been donating some of my dinero to this fund. I have a few questions.

Monson reported that perpetual education loans are being repaid. If they weren't being repaid at a high enough rate, would donations slow? How does the Church motivate people to repay these loans?

Also, isn't this a brilliant investment plan by the Church? The Church is growing fastest in 3rd world countries, but revenue (tithing) is low from those nations. American tithing supports these 3rd world countries. How do we deal with rapid growth in 3rd world nations? Increase revenue from 3rd world countries by helping members of the Church get educated so that they can have good jobs. Brilliant.

I think the Church has purposely slowed its expansion in these nations in order to counter fiscal problems associated with supporting the full program of the Church in poor nations which cannot tithe substantially. The PEF ought to allow further expansion in these places.

Last edited by SoonerCoug; 02-10-2008 at 09:08 PM.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
I've been donating some of my dinero to this fund. I have a few questions.

Monson reported that perpetual education loans are being repaid. If they weren't being repaid at a high enough rate, would donations slow? How does the Church motivate people to repay these loans?

Also, isn't this a brilliant investment plan by the Church? The Church is growing fastest in 3rd world countries, but revenue (tithing) is low from those nations. American tithing supports these 3rd world countries. How do we deal with rapid growth in 3rd world nations? Increase revenue from 3rd world countries by helping members of the Church get educated so that they can have good jobs. Brilliant.

I think the Church has purposely slowed its expansion in these nations in order to counter fiscal problems associated with supporting the full program of the Church in poor nations which cannot tithe substantially. The PEF ought to allow further expansion in these places.
This is a place that I would definitely consider putting some of the money I allocate to charities each year. I will be holding off on how much is available to give in '09 based on the outcome of the elections. If my taxes go up, sadly my giving to charities will have to go down.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:13 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm holding off until I know what calling I have.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:31 PM   #4
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm holding off until I know what calling I have.
Perhaps that is the difference between someone who is concerned about spritual things and someone who is concerned about materialistic things.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:41 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Perhaps that is the difference between someone who is concerned about spritual things and someone who is concerned about materialistic things.
How much do you make in a week?

If you take 1 week PTO, how much is that worth, every year, year after year?

Let's see, who else in my ward has done that?

No one. Not a one. Not in the last many years at least.

It's fascinating how many people can't step up to the plate. I guess I must be the least busy among everyone.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:54 PM   #6
BYU71

Quote:
How much do you make in a week?

If you take 1 week PTO, how much is that worth, every year, year after year?

Let's see, who else in my ward has done that?

No one. Not a one. Not in the last many years at least.

It's fascinating how many people can't step up to the plate. I guess I must be the least busy among everyone.
Not sure what PTO means, so this might be a general response and not really a response to your post.

I find it odd that some people who don't make as much as another does complain that those people don't have their priorities in the right place. I ask, if their own priorities are in fact in the right place, why would they be complaining. Things should be wonderful for them.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:11 AM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I'm saying how many people are willing to spend 5 days paid vacation time for their calling? It's less than you might think.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:14 AM   #8
BYU71

Quote:
I'm saying how many people are willing to spend 5 days paid vacation time for their calling? It's less than you might think.
I think there are tons of people who aren't willing to do that. I marvel at those who are. It is my hope those that do are blessed in some way for making the sacrifice.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:30 AM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You have my admiration, as I really don't like camping with screaming boys. I also have a problem with the sedentary nature of boys. Sure they run around and throw rocks, but so many boys are so unfit, it makes hiking and camping with them not that much fun.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:34 AM   #10
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

I just want to know how the Church encourages members to repay their loans. Any ideas? Anyone? Anyone?
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote