cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Has Bronco proven himself?
Yes. He's set. 3 15.00%
No. He needs to win with his own squad. 14 70.00%
Never. It will always be what did you do for me lately. 2 10.00%
All he has to do is field a team HC compliant and law abiding that graduates. 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-10-2007, 08:22 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Has Bronco proven himself?

It seems to me that Bronco was a lot luckier than Whittingham in the sense that he inherited a seasoned NFL prospect quarterback and otherwise a full cupboard, and retained continuity in most of the coaching staff. Whittingham had to rebuild his coaching staff, start a freshman qb who got seriously injured requiring Whittingham to throw a little recruited JC into the breach for the last two games of his first season and all his second season (I think those last two games of Whittingham's first season were a coaching masterpiece, considering the adversity, but I digress). The team Whittingham took over also had lost numerous other key skill position and other important players. Yet Whittingham came within a whisker of being 2-0 against Bronco. Has Bronco proven himself?

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 08-10-2007 at 08:26 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:22 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

No, he hasn't proven himself.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought Ratcliffe was going to be a NFL quarterback. According to that one website.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:31 PM   #4
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

No. Not yet. He has taken steps in the right direction... but he isn't 'there' yet. I like what he has done, but in all honesty, he should have won with last year's squad.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:47 PM   #5
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
It seems to me that Bronco was a lot luckier than Whittingham in the sense that he inherited a seasoned NFL prospect quarterback and otherwise a full cupboard, and retained continuity in most of the coaching staff. Whittingham had to rebuild his coaching staff, start a freshman qb who got seriously injured requiring Whittingham to throw a little recruited JC into the breach for the last two games of his first season and all his second season (I think those last two games of Whittingham's first season were a coaching masterpiece, considering the adversity, but I digress). The team Whittingham took over also had lost numerous other key skill position and other important players. Yet Whittingham came within a whisker of being 2-0 against Bronco. Has Bronco proven himself?
Whitt was also a within a whisker of being 0-2 against Bronco..
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:06 PM   #6
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

my answer is not on there. How about "the jury is still out, but he has taken steps in the right direction" kind of a no/yes notyet/maybe
Old 08-10-2007, 09:10 PM   #7
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

BYU71 has officially made his presence known:

Quote:
All he has to do is field a team HC compliant and law abiding that graduates.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:12 PM   #8
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP
Default No, but he hasn't embarrassed himself. . .

yet either. He's shown a willingness to change what isn't working, so I think he's on the right track. We'll find out this year how good he is as this is going to be the closest thing to a rebuilding year for the next 3 seasons.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:28 PM   #9
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Ask me not at the end of this season, but the 08' season.

I think 08' and 09' could very well set up for some very special football and possible BCS runs.

As for now I say it's simply too early to judge him completely one way or the other.

I want to see how his recruits pan out (although this will take longer), and I want to see how he re-builds after losing so many valuable Seniors.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:39 PM   #10
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I think Bronco has not proven himself, but he has proven far more than Whittingham.

If Ute fans are less than impressed with Bronco, what hope can they honestly take from Whittingham?