cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 04:24 PM   #1
Hazzard

Hazzard
Default What do you think about Alexander Hamilton?

I am early on in the book about him by Ron Chernow, and so far Chernow is taking a very sympathetic view of Hamilton. Chernow feels bad that Hamilton, who died before he could write his own memoirs, has been defined through all these years by others, and is basically arguing that Hamilton should have a higher place amongst the founding fathers.

Clearly Hamilton was a brilliant man -- perhaps the sharpest of all of the founding fathers -- with a work ethic second to none, but for most of the past couple hundred years he has been the red-headed, freckled step-child to Madison, Jefferson, Washington, Adams, and the rest.

I'm curious what you think about him.
Hazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 05:00 PM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Please post your assessment with the book once you've finished. That book is on my amazon wish list.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 05:33 PM   #3
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a great book, although Chernow certainly engages in a bot of hero worship and tends to give us the thoughts of characters (e.g. his interpretation of what they are thinking) without explainign the basis for that interpreation. Hamilton was brilliant, but he was also flawed. I think he has been given short shrift, but when placed amongst the founding fathers, it can sometimes be hard to draw your fair share of attention.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 02:52 AM   #4
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default I read that book

and I loved it.

I have read a lot of biographies on different founding fathers. I am convinced Hamilton is one of the most important of them all. He was truly brilliant and this nation would exist in a very different form if not for him.

He had a temper and some weaknesses for the females of the time, but he is one of the all time greats. I hope lots of people read the Chernov book just to see how exceptional he was.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 04:00 AM   #5
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Aaron Burr! Aaron Burr!

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 04:07 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default You know who really deserves more credit?

George Ross. The guy signed the Declaration of Independence and yet nobody ever pays attention to that.

Of course, I know absolutely nothing about him. It's just that there was a guy in my ward with the same name who had 3 very, very hot daughters, so the name George Ross has always had a spot in the back of my mind.

I wonder if the George Ross who signed with the other founding fathers had some hot daughters? Deductive reasoning would leave me to believe it to be true.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 05:41 PM   #7
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

His story alone lends itself to historical credibility. I have not yet finished that book myself, but I agree with Chernow's assessment that Hamilton was one of the sharpest of the founding fathers. Overcoming all he had to overcome is certainly nothing to take lightly. Add on to that all he accomplished by the time he was 25 being so close to George Washington...incredible.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:45 PM   #8
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Hamilton was indeed an impresive intellect, but he had soime Bubba Clinton-esque weaknesses. He should be recognized but perhaps not idolized.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 04:57 AM   #9
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: What do you think about Alexander Hamilton?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzard
I am early on in the book about him by Ron Chernow, and so far Chernow is taking a very sympathetic view of Hamilton. Chernow feels bad that Hamilton, who died before he could write his own memoirs, has been defined through all these years by others, and is basically arguing that Hamilton should have a higher place amongst the founding fathers.

Clearly Hamilton was a brilliant man -- perhaps the sharpest of all of the founding fathers -- with a work ethic second to none, but for most of the past couple hundred years he has been the red-headed, freckled step-child to Madison, Jefferson, Washington, Adams, and the rest.

I'm curious what you think about him.
I've often thought that if I were to list the, say, 20 most important people who ever lived (in terms of their impact on the human face of the earth as you see it today), of course you'd start out with the obvious ones in your top five or ten--Jesus, Paul, Mohammed, Newton, Alexander (the Great), Plato, the Yahwist, Mark (assuming he wrote the original Gospel, whoever he was), Budha, Confucious, Luther, etc. Before too long the names would start to get pretty subjective. But while you were still within that top 20 you'd have to list at least one American, I submit, if you were being objective, regardless of the subjectivity of the overall enterprise by the time you got there. I mean, America was the first republic state on earth since Rome fell into dictatorship not long before Christ was born, and she has been a pretty long lasting, powerful, influential republic by historical standards. Right?

Who would be the first American that you'd list? Washington? Jefferson? Lincoln? I say Hamilton. Why? More than any other of our founding fathers Hamilton saw in his mind's eye modern America as it exists today. Hamilton put his ideas into powerful words and Hamilton's vision for America is the one that has endured, been most influential, even prophetic, from the United States' fiscal processes to its federalist system to its very geographical make up. With the Louisiana Purchase and the outcome of the Civil War it was the Hamiltonian vision for America that prevailed. He is our great tragic here who will, millenia from now, be most remembered, in my opinion.

The one who has the strongest claim for top billing among Americans other than Hamilton is Washington, in my view, simply because he was the first man in 1800 years to decline a postition of monarchy or dictatorship in favor of the transcendent expiriment that was underway in America; Washington provided the stable leadership she needed during the war, her founding, and her earliest years as a fledgling, then subversive republic; and Hamilton was Washington's creation. But Hamilton clearly conceived and expressed the nuts and bolts of the republic for Washington. Given that America was the first such form of government since ancient Rome someone had to write the handbook for it, and Hamilton was the one that destiny picked.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote