cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Mexico State

1. New Mexico State has the worst helmet design I have ever seen.

2. How far has Dewayne Walker fallen? Considering that some talked about him being the UCLA head coach. You would think he could do better than NMSU. But if he turns them around, he can write his ticket.

3. I'm wondering if G. Monson is right. That Heaps played all the tough teams, and Riley Nelson profited from getting to play against all the bad teams. And that makes Heaps look bad, and Nelson look bad. I don't think that is entirely true. But it's something to think about.

4. Heaps outing was ok to good. There are many things I do not like about Heaps. Despite his gun, he is a dink and dunk quarterback. It seems like most of his throw are for under 10 yards. He does best with quick routes that don't require much in the way of reads, usually with a stationary receiver on a kind of comeback route. Or a quick out. In other words, when Heaps in the QB it seems the offense is incapable of big plays. Heaps can't make throws against the zone at the 2nd and 3rd levels. And even when he sees the receiver who is wide open, he can't make an accurate throw. Also, Heaps cannot create when a play breaks down. He is the anti-Tony Romo, who is at his best running around in the pocket and outside of the pocket. Heaps is done if the first read isn't there. Heaps development, in short, has been a tremendous disappointment. I have to put this on the coaches. Nelson has significant issues as well, and has not been free of making dumb passes. But there is a big-play potential that BYU has with him, that is missing with Heaps.

5. Holy cow are these late season games boring or what? I went to bed before the game was over. I watched most of the 2nd half today. But it's a good lesson in learning not to care that much about things which aren't all that important in the eternal scheme: BYU football.

6. BYU basketball, on the other hand, now that's fun.

7. If BYU wins 10 games this year, can we all agree that this will have been the worst 10-game-winning BYU team in history? Didn't beat a single good team all season, and got blown out against a mediocre Utah. Maybe the guys in the football program, like Bronco are satisfied, but I have found this season to be excruciatingly bad.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote